Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 vanes and a whisper bisquit >

vanes and a whisper bisquit

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

vanes and a whisper bisquit

Old 09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: vanes and a whisper bisquit

Duravanes
P.O. Box 516
Myrtle Point, OR 97458
800-778-4755

[/align]The Predator vane will work the best. It has good adhesion qualities and is durable and long lasting. They also offer a superior adhesive.
Since he mentioned 4 inch vanes, Duravane offers a 4 inch version with the same tougher material as the predator called the 'Savage'....correct?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably not the age of the vanes or glue. Bisquits have a habit of doing this.
Try the blazers or get a new dropaway rest.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

use blazers with the odd fletching pointing up. You dont want anything passing through the black part of the WB. the black section is the stiffest section ment to hold your resting arrow, not ment to shoot through.

I have been shooting WB's for years with blazers and not once have my fletchings been warped or ruined.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:14 PM

Try the Blazer vanes.I have been shooting mine for about a year now and have no noticable wear on them yet.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ebaybow

How Should I orient my Arrow Fletching?
The Cock Vane should always be in the up position.

[/align][/align]
My fletching wrinkles or tears, is there anything I can do to fix it?
We have tested many different vanes from many different manufacturers and found that some hold up better than others. Here is what we have learned:
White vanes are the softest regardless of the manufacturer or material. This is because it takes a lot of dye to produce the white color and the dye weakens the vane. You will also notice that white vanes get discolored faster than other vanes.
Rubber based vanes are the easiest to glue to an arrow shaft, but are the weakest material to make vanes from. Most arrow manufacturers use rubber vanes because they are so easy to glue on and allow the mass production of arrows. You can tell a rubber vane by its usually textured surface and elastic nature. Rubber vanes have some memory, but when stretched past their elastic limit, they will wrinkle. Rubber vanes also wrinkle in flight due to the acceleration of the shot. You can expect about 150 shots before seeing damage to the vanes.
Urethane based vanes are the toughest vanes and hold up the best over the long term. They are however more difficult to glue to the arrow shaft. The base of the vanes must be cleaned well with a solvent, or simply dish soap. A good flexible glue like Flex-Fletch glue works the best. Urethane based vanes don't oscillate during the shot, and are the most quiet as they fly through the air. You can expect thousands of shots without damage to the vanes.
The best method we've found to affix the vanes to the shaft is as follows: First rub the shaft with a fine abrasive sandpaper or scotch bright. Use a flexible glue on the base of the vanes like the Bohning glue. Then dab a hard glue like super glue or goat-tough glue on the front and back of the vane. Let the arrow sit over night. You can then shoot it thousands of times before having to worry about the fletching again.
We have found the following manufacturers to produce the best fletching and adhesives:

Duravanes
P.O. Box 516
Myrtle Point, OR 97458
800-778-4755

[/align]The Predator vane will work the best. It has good adhesion qualities and is durable and long lasting. They also offer a superior adhesive.

[/align][/align][/align][/align]
Bohning Company, Ltd.
7361 N. Seven Mile Rd.
Lake City, MI 49651
231-229-4247

[/align]Blazer Vanes will last indefinitely and bond easily to the arrow shaft using their flexible Bond-Tite cement. These vanes are available from most dealers, or from Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops.

Flex-Fletch Products
1840 Chandler Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55113
651-426-4882

[/align]Flex-Fletch makes excellent vanes that will last indefinitely. They also produce Flex-Fletch glue, which is a superior glue.

Arizona Archery Enterprises
2781 Valley View Dr.
Prescott Valley, AZ 86314
928-772-9887

[/align]The AAE Speed Flyte vanes are tough. They are available through Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops.

[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]
[hr]

That took some time. Intresting info! Thanks!

I think the Savage vane (duravane) would be good in the WB.