HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Insert Glueing Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/261359-insert-glueing-question.html)

dbleyepatches 09-04-2008 12:26 PM

Insert Glueing Question

Have any of you noticed a difference between the 24 hour epoxy made by Bohning or some other archery supplier compared to buying 24 hour epoxy at the hardware store? The only thing holding me back from shooting my bow with my new arrows is glueing the inserts in and there is no archery supply or pro-shop close to here. I was thinking about going to the local lumber yard and buying epoxy there and giving it a try but I don't want this to come back to bite me.

Daniel

YooperMike 09-04-2008 01:12 PM

RE: Insert Glueing Question

Hmm..not sure. Personally, I think you are better with hot-melt type stuff as opposed to epoxy, but dont' see why there wold be that much difference in epoxies. My FMJs come with a two part epoxy that is 24 cure, and it works well, but there is no getting that insert back out in the case of an errant shot.

Snood Slapper 09-04-2008 04:46 PM

Use it. There is absolutely no difference whatsoever except the hardware stuff is cheaper. Same with their super glues.

G2 Shooter 09-04-2008 07:05 PM

Use Super Glue Gel or a cheap instant glue gel. If the inserts get damaged in any way, you can use heat to pull it out and replace it. If you use epoxy and the insert gets damaged, you have to cut the arrow shorter or throw it away.

TN Deer Hunter 09-04-2008 07:58 PM

I just use a hot glue gun and hot glue from Wal-mart. It was about 4.00 I think. And if you want to align your fixed blade broadheads with the vanes all you have to do is add a little heat to it and turn the broadhead.

SIDEWAYS 09-04-2008 08:21 PM

Are you shooting carbons or aluminum?

TN Deer Hunter 09-04-2008 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: SIDEWAYS

Are you shooting carbons or aluminum?
Carbons/ Goldtip 5575

Snood Slapper 09-04-2008 09:45 PM

Heat is not good for carbons, no matter how you apply it to loosen it up (to a field tip, etc.), no matter what other people say they do or get away with. Heat with carbons is Russian Roulette. It ruins the resins that adhere the fibers together. I prefer to use instant glues for inserts, but you have to be quick. I use a G5 ASD to square up the arrow first, then the insert. If you need to remove, you just use the jackhammer method with a drill bit. Bohning PowerBond is good too, and inserts are removeable in the same way.

Born 2 Bow Hunt 09-04-2008 10:14 PM

I bought a pack of ten super glue $ 4.00 from Odd Lots works fine for fletching and knocks...I use hot met for my aluminum inserts.

dbleyepatches 09-05-2008 01:09 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. The arrows are carbon and I am going to use epoxy. I will be heading down to the hardware store in the morning. Thanks again.