HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Amazing Discovery for a Bozo Like Me! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/260218-amazing-discovery-bozo-like-me.html)

Dirt2 08-28-2008 02:17 PM

Amazing Discovery for a Bozo Like Me!

I'm not a bow tech, and have struggled with getting broadheads to fly for years. I've always used very high quality arrows and heads, but nothing seemed to work. I've tuned and tuned and tinkered, but never get more than maybe 3 arrows out of 6 that will group adequatelyfor hunting. Then a guy standing in a local bowshop gave me a simple suggestion as another "pro" was walking me around the block - trying to sell me a new bow or a new arrow rest or something. He suggested I simply spin the nocks from vane-to-vane, giving me three options with each arrow.

Wow! I was able to take my three "rogue" arrows and bring two of them back in to line by doing this trick. The only problem with them now is that the "cock feather" is in the wrong position.

I'm sure many people know about this, but it deserves to be repeated for those who don't. It has literally revolutionized my archery on an issue I have fought tooth and nail for 8 years.

bigcountry 08-28-2008 02:29 PM

RE: Amazing Discovery for a Bozo Like Me!

I think the issue you are seeing is inconsisent spine. I do something simular. I shoot thru paper, and rotate the arrow 120 degrees. The arrows that I see a different tear, I will repeat. anymore I will ship back to beman or carbon express, and make them send me new arrows.

But you are right, you can rotate to find a stiffer or weaker side to accomidate your BH.

M.Magis 08-28-2008 02:37 PM

The only problem with them now is that the "cock feather" is in the wrong position.

That seems like a really big problem, unless using a drop away rest.
I’m not sure I understand how that would help anything, unless there’s a fletching clearance or nock alignment problem.

bigcountry 08-28-2008 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

The only problem with them now is that the "cock feather" is in the wrong position.

That seems like a really big problem, unless using a drop away rest.
I’m not sure I understand how that would help anything, unless there’s a fletching clearance or nock alignment problem.
Put a set of carbons (especially cheap ones) on a spine tester, and you can see why. Most compound shootersarrows ossilates vertically, where finger shooters do horizontially. Then take a set of alums and do the same. Aluminums will beatout the carbons every time on spine consistency.

Dirt2 09-04-2008 02:55 PM

Yes, I have had it in mind for a while that spine inconsistency was the real culprit.

Finch 09-04-2008 04:31 PM

The last batch of arrows I bought; I "float" tested them in the bathtub with some warm soapy water. Ideally, if the arrow's spine is inconsistent it will show in the water. The arrow will roll and I believe the stiffer side rolls to the bottom leaving the weaker side on top. I "believe" you shoot stiffer side down. Its been a while since I did it so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Hell, I'm not even sure it helped but it did boost confidence, which means ALOT!

TFOX 09-04-2008 05:45 PM

It could also be an issue with the nock itself and/or it's alignment with the centerline of the arrow.

You can also pull the nock out and rotate it over and replace it,that gives you twice as many adjustments.

If one willnot tune,always change nocks and recheck.