Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Getting the pin on target >

Getting the pin on target

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Getting the pin on target

Old 08-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Getting the pin on target

You don't have target panic.You need to relax. Nock your arrow, pick the spot you wanna hit, draw your bow, anchor, the whole time NEVER taking your eyes off the spot.And I mean NEVER. This is the key. If you know hot to shoot a rifle well, then your probably squeezing the trigger right ? You have do that with a bow too. Squeeeeeze the release trigger! Focus on your spot, let the pin hover, and squeeze the release.

For me personally, I draw pointing my bow slightly upward, not to the sky, but slighty above the target. Shoulder surgery caused me to change my draw slightyly. So when I draw like this, my pinalways ends up above the target. I settle in my anchor point and my peep first, then slowly float down to the spot I want to hit.

ORIGINAL: sky_guy_61

I am steadily improving with my shooting, but would like some advice about aiming. About half my shots are within a 3 inch circle.. but the rest are maybe within 6 inches. Once I draw and get everything lined up I am often aimed somewhere on the target other than the bullseye. Then sometimes I will sort of 'push' my bow arm in the direction of the bullseye at the last second. I know this is a bad habit, and produces mixed results. I believe you are supposed to move at the waist to change your aim, right?
I know how to do it with a rifle, but any tips on lining up on the bullseye appreciated.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to agree with Mikey S on this one. I think it's more of mechanics then one of target panic. If you do not have a repetitive shot you will easily spray your shots.

Many shooters either drop into the target or raise up to the target and release. (Kind of like shooting at ducks or pheasant flying away or toward you.

I've seen guys that do this have to actually let down though if they go past their release point without squeezing. They can not pull the bow up or push it down to get back on target because of muscle memory.

I will drop my pin into my target while concentrating on the spot I want to hit, stop,andrelease once I get there. You have to create a repeatable sequence to follow every time you shoot. Whether you raise, lower or come from the side.

1. Make sure you are looking at the exact spot you want to hit before draw.
2. Make sure you are looking atthe exact spot you want to hit as youdraw.
3.Make sure you are looking at the exact spot you want to hit after you draw. Don't follow your pin around with your eyes but instead wait for your pin to hit the spot you want to hit and thenrelease.

If you are only focused on your intended spot you will be amazed at howmuch better you will shoot and the pin could be coming from any direction but you'll still hit you mark.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

very very helpful tips guys keep em coming thanks alot everyone!!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some awesome remarks going on here. I particularly like the ones about following through and not looking for the arrow. You should never even think about your release. There is no substittue for aiming the bow. Aim the bow, aim the bow, aim the bow. Nothing works better.

Just like my thought on lighted nocks. Why would a person want to see his arrow go. That's not good shooting form. If you use good form and follow through, then your arrow is right where the pin was when the bow went off. No need to see anything. The only thing you should be doing is aiming.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:28 PM

The one tip that I would add is something that I haven't seen so far and that is....

SHOOT A FEW GOOD ARROWS AND QUIT.

Don't wear yourself out training your brain/body to do it all wrong. When you shoot and shoot and shoot trying to make that form work your imprinting that worthless form. Work on aiming using the techniques listed previously. First I would try finding the peep/pin/trigger just on top of the target then relax down. Once on the spot let the pin slowly circle the bull, the circles will get tighter and gently squeeze the release. It should be a suprise when it goes off. It's great to have someone else doit but you have to learn on your own. Do this a time or two then QUIT. Wait an hour or so then go do it again. Once you can shoot this way 5 good arrows 3 times a day then you can drop your targets size to no bigger than a 2" target. Then hit it a few times and quit. Practice does not make perfect...PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!

To qualify this let me tell you that I once drew a practice lane next to what was the worlds top shooter at that time. I watched every move. He had a sight issue after a long airline handling. He would shoot, adjust the sight then sit for 5 solid timed minutes. I asked why, he said he didn't want his brain to associate that shot form with a miss. He had to wait between each shot till he had it hitting like he wanted. Once he hit an x he proceded to dump 4 more in the x. Then he went on to shoot a perfect 60x round. He also taught me a couple other tricks about tuning and aiming. But the one thing he stressed was that form was a mental issue more than a physical one and you had to train your brain to do the exact steps the same way time and again to acheive the desired response so that at no time did you have to consiously think about any step. Your subcounsious takes over and does it time and time again.
I used to play the song....The devil went down to Georgia in my mind over andover to keep my consious thought busy while my subcounsious drew,aimed and shot.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

1. Make sure you are looking at the exact spot you want to hit before draw.
2. Make sure you are looking atthe exact spot you want to hit as youdraw.
3.Make sure you are looking at the exact spot you want to hit after you draw. Don't follow your pin around with your eyes but instead wait for your pin to hit the spot you want to hit and thenrelease.
Dave, Great stuff here. Going to have to try that.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dryridge, good thinking with that. i forgot that tip completely. if i have a full day of and am home i try to shoot about twenty arrows 3 times a day. i shot my best 3d to date on yesterday after practicing 3 times saturday for short periods. the first time i shot i was practicing on my release form. the second time out i practiced on follow through. and the 3rd i shot best and felt like i put it all together very well. and all this practice was done at 40 and 50 yards. the last set i shot it felt like as the bow went off i knew if the arrow was good or not coming off of the bow. that to me is a good feeling.