HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Arrow wobble (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/259000-arrow-wobble.html)

Brian K 08-21-2008 07:53 AM

Arrow wobble

I'm sure this has been covered a hundred times, but I notice a couple of my arrows wobbling in flight with broadheads when I shoot from about 25 yards. Can anyone help me figure out 1) why this is happening and 2) how to correct it? Is it a fletching issue? Spine? Weight? Tuning? Thanks in advance.

I shoot a Mission X4 at about 63#
Carbon Express cx300 arrows
100 grain g5 striker broadheads

UncleNorby 08-21-2008 09:28 AM

RE: Arrow wobble

I shoot an X3 and like it.

Anyway, there's no way to give you a definitive answer. I don't know anything about your arrow spine, but it could be part of the problem. Is there an on-line arrow selection chart by the manufacturer of those arrows? Your archery shop can check it for you too.

You say a couple arrows, maybe it is just those specific arrows? If not, it could be that you torque the grip every now and then.

After checking those issues, I would look to tuning. Always a good idea to get it tuned as well as it can be, even if you think they're flying OK.

Dryridge 08-21-2008 09:41 AM

Number your arrows one through ??? whatever you got shoot them all in no specific order. If you see one wobbling immediately go see which one it is. Mark it down on little pad. If the same ones wobble I would keep them as practice arrows or at least check to see if it spins true. Could be a bad or misaligned insert or a bad arrow. I have had them with weak or stiffer spines...especially cheaper carbons. Now switch the BH's off the identified problem shafts and put them on another arrow. See if it starts wobbling consistently now. If so it is a BH issue. They can be machined crooked or bent!

If there doesn't seem to be a certain shaft or two then its tim to look at your form or a mechanical issue with the bow. Most likely its form (Choking the Bow with your left hand).

Anyway, give this a try and let us know what you find.

Carpmaster 08-21-2008 10:01 AM

I had the wobble a couple weeks ago, and it turned out being fletching contact, stripped the Blazers instantly!

rybohunter 08-21-2008 10:20 AM

All good advice here

fletch contact& spin test are pretty easy to check. Double check arrow spine with the charts.

OHbowhntr 08-21-2008 12:03 PM

Your spine is too stiff!!!! Just guestimating, but punching your numbers into OT2, I get that you should be around a .425 spine, and you're at a .370 spine. A 250 would be a better spine for you and would fix you better arrow flight, just guessing that your DL is 28.5" and you arrows are the same, but tweaking the numbers every which way, you have a LOT of changing to do to get those 300 to be "right-spined" for your set-up. Upping your weight to 68# and a 125 gr head will get you closer. But really a 250 arrow would probably sync better with your set-up.

Brian K 08-21-2008 12:31 PM

When you say "fletching contact" what exactly does that mean? I have a whisker biscuit rest... I alsonoticed that several of my vanes look sort of wavy-- maybe that's part of the problem. I shot them all summer without replacing and maybe now is the time. Finally, would I be better off just getting a half dozen new arrows that are set up correctly for my bow? I think part of the problem is form-related, but I think partof it iseither a tuning or arrowissue.Thanks for all the help! I'm sort of new to this.

Carpmaster 08-21-2008 12:41 PM

Fletching contact is when your vane hits something on its way out of the bow such as the rest, the cables, shelf, etc...

I don't have much experience with the biscuit so i cant help ya there...

Getting some new arrows with good clean fletch catered towards your setup sure cant hurt!

Brian K 08-21-2008 12:45 PM

One more thing...

I was looking at Beman arrows-- the ics hunter or camo hunter. I read the chart, but, again, I'm kind of new at this and don't want to spend money on something that isn't conducive to my setup. So if my draw is 29" and I'm pulling about 63#, what length do I want my arrows and what is the correct spine? Thanks a ton again...

OHbowhntr 08-21-2008 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Brian K

When you say "fletching contact" what exactly does that mean? I have a whisker biscuit rest... I alsonoticed that several of my vanes look sort of wavy-- maybe that's part of the problem. I shot them all summer without replacing and maybe now is the time. Finally, would I be better off just getting a half dozen new arrows that are set up correctly for my bow? I think part of the problem is form-related, but I think partof it iseither a tuning or arrowissue.Thanks for all the help! I'm sort of new to this.
The wavy vanes could be part of the cause, what type of vanes are you using??? Blazers are the best thing you can put through a biscuit from what I know, but that doesn't mean other vanes aren't "OK" as well, but most guys have better luck with blazers.