Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Length question? >

Arrow Length question?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Length question?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow Length question?

If you are shooting a 26.5" draw length bow, how much does your broadhead/field point stick past your shelf? I know may be elementary to some, but I need some input.

Thanks, LT
Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Arrow Length question?

Really it depends on what rest you are using.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

In almost all cases with modern bows the arrow does not have stick past th riser shelf at all. It does have to stick past the rest. Usually an nch past the rest, but it depends somewhat on whether you think you'll ever change to a different rest. Considering that I usually shoot arrow equal to my bow's draw length.

Notice I did not say MY draw length. I don't have one. The bow has one though.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the rest and how comfortable you are with the BH sitting above your hand. I shoot a 27" arrow with my 30" DL bow with a QAD HD rest and am comfortable with it. My buddy shoots a 28" with a 29" draw with a Trophy Ridge rest.

You can go as short as 1//4" from the rest at draw if you are comfortable with that.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

my first year my arrows were so weakly spined that i had to cut them hairs away from the end of the rest..litterally could pull the arrow off the prongs if i "over drew" past the valley...

last 2 years im shooting 28" arrows with a 28" draw...with the QAD drop away i could get by a good bit shorter...but i like my weight and spine...some guys like them sticking out past the riser...others want them as short as possible to decrease weight and gain speed....seems rule of thumb these days is 1" past the rest...but thats not set in stone..could be longer or shorter so long as it will stay on the rest. spine will ultimately determine lenght if you wanna get nitty gritty...i find arrows that fall into the spine range i need and then cut them to the spine i WANT. i like slightly stiffer than "perfect" and like a little more weight than most...and im not heman...i dont need to pull 70+lbs..
Old 08-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

my first year my arrows were so weakly spined that i had to cut them hairs away from the end of the rest..litterally could pull the arrow off the prongs if i "over drew" past the valley...

last 2 years im shooting 28" arrows with a 28" draw...with the QAD drop away i could get by a good bit shorter...but i like my weight and spine...some guys like them sticking out past the riser...others want them as short as possible to decrease weight and gain speed....seems rule of thumb these days is 1" past the rest...but thats not set in stone..could be longer or shorter so long as it will stay on the rest. spine will ultimately determine lenght if you wanna get nitty gritty...i find arrows that fall into the spine range i need and then cut them to the spine i WANT. i like slightly stiffer than "perfect" and like a little more weight than most...and im not heman...i dont need to pull 70+lbs..
Good response...
LA Tomkat,
Post up your bow, DL, DW, and arrow you intend to use and I'll throw them on OT2 and see what spine is best, and what different lengths will spine you up best with different weight tips.