HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   KENETIC ENERGY (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/256916-kenetic-energy.html)

10 point shooter 08-09-2008 10:37 PM

KENETIC ENERGY

Heard an archery equipment reseler say that there would not be enough kenetic energy left in an arrow at 80 yrds to kill an ELK. Shooting a 400 grain arrow at 288 ft. per. sec. which is 73.7 ft. lbs. atthe chronograph. Is there a way to figure what it would be at 80 yrds. Does anybody have any input on this. I don't have an 80 yrd. pin, but I have a 70 yrd. pin. I held off shooting at a nice Elk at 80 yrds two years ago because I only had a 60 yrd. pin.

Heading to Co. the first week of Sept.

PA Bow/Flinter 08-10-2008 09:14 AM

RE: KENETIC ENERGY

Well, I don't personnally agree with shooting elk at 80 yds, but to objectively answer your question.

Place you chrono next to the target, go back to 80 yds and shoot. You will get the speed of the arrow at 80 yds and then you will be able to calculate the KE. If you are scared of missing and hitting the chrono then you shouldn't be shooting at animals at that distance either.

MOhunting 08-10-2008 09:15 AM

I had a buddy of mine take a cow right at 76 yards pulling 70 lbs on an older xi...not that I endorse the shot, but it is physically possible. She only went 50 yards and dropped. The shot was right on, and again I don't take or like these shots, but I have seen it done.

The Rev 08-10-2008 10:01 AM

If your shooting any animal at 80 yards let me know where you are hunting. I don't want to be any where in the vicinity. Owning a bow certainly does not requireany common sense, does it? I don't care what kind of K.E. I have at 80 yards, that is just a STUPID shot. I don't know how much experience you have in archery, but trust me the bottom falls out at 70 yards. I don't care what kind of bow you shoot.

10 point shooter 08-10-2008 10:32 AM

I knew this would raise a fuss, but didn't mean to cause anybody to skip the country. Has I stated didn't try it and I probably won't ever try it. The bull two years ago just stood there in the wide open, broadside, forever, but 80 yrds was just to far. Was kinda of hoping there had been some actual test, with one of those impact contraption that measures K&E.
Been shooting a bow since I was about 6 yrs. old, about 47 yrs. off an on. Know my limits, watched a lot of game walk away because of one reason or another. Don't believe in a marginal shot. Tracked a gut shot deer once. Don't ever want to do it again.

Hoyt Trykon
78 lbs.
G5 Montech 125 gr.
Easton Epic 300

The Rev 08-10-2008 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: 10 point shooter

I knew this would raise a fuss, but didn't mean to cause anybody to skip the country. Has I stated didn't try it and I probably won't ever try it. The bull two years ago just stood there in the wide open, broadside, forever, but 80 yrds was just to far. Was kinda of hoping there had been some actual test, with one of those impact contraption that measures K&E.
Been shooting a bow since I was about 6 yrs. old, about 47 yrs. off an on. Know my limits, watched a lot of game walk away because of one reason or another. Don't believe in a marginal shot. Tracked a gut shot deer once. Don't ever want to do it again.

Hoyt Trykon
78 lbs.
G5 Montech 125 gr.
Easton Epic 300

James, I didn't insinuate you were the one to take that shot. If had intended that I would have quoted you. But I've been around some guys that don't know squat about archery, and they are dangerous, not to mention not very ethical in their hunting habits.
As far as K.E. it's so hard to say because there are so many variables with an arrow at that distance, it would almost be impossible to determine that. My last pin is set at sixty and practice at 60, but between 60-70 yards the arrow looses so much energy, that the bottom falls out of it.
I don't doubt that an arrow wouldn't kill an animal at 80 yards, butwould be anextremely lucky shoot, not to mention highly unethical.

There are calculators to figure that one out, but you have to also take the consideration of geographical topography, and current weather conditions.

Sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean it that way. But again, like I said, I've seen people get punch drunk when hunting, and that's scary.:D

bigcountry 08-10-2008 12:20 PM

I have seen a few guys that can pull off 80 yard shots. I have completely penetrated deer at 60 yards. I have seen folks shooting 55lb osage longbows shooting 550gr cedars at 154fps go completely into the ribcage of an elk and point stopping on far side ribs shooting them at 25 yards.

I sure wouldn't do it, but just because I cannot consistently pull it off, doesn't mean others can't. A 70lb bow shooting a 400gr arrow at 280fps would have enough energy to kill an elk at 80 yards, but like anything, depends on where you hit em.

Ever since I have been shooting selfbows, I have rethought my idea of what is possible and what is not. If you were too have told me 10 years ago, I would be hunting with a 53lb osage bow, shooting 152fps, I would have told you, you were crazy and that can't kill a deer.

im ocd 08-10-2008 12:55 PM

Although I would not take a shot at 80 yards, here is a calculator:

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ballistics.html

BTW it estimates my 380 grain arrow @ 301 would have 60# KE(.45 momentum) remaining at 80 yards.

Doegirl75 08-10-2008 05:23 PM

That animal's got plenty of time to move @ 80yds. That would be my worry.

bigcountry 08-10-2008 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

That animal's got plenty of time to move @ 80yds. That would be my worry.
Back when I started hunting with a bear whitetail hunter in 86 or so, that thing was so loud, I would see deer move a ft before the arrow got there at 20 yards.