Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow/Broadhead WGT Questions >

Arrow/Broadhead WGT Questions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow/Broadhead WGT Questions

Old 08-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Default Arrow/Broadhead WGT Questions

I have a few questions.

1. What weight broadhead do you like for elk? I am going with 100 right now, but going to 125 is no big deal.
2. What is the importance of weight forward arrows?
3. What does knowing the weight of the arrow do other than help you make sure your within the law in some places, and
help with your kinetic energy calculations?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow/Broadhead WGT Questions

Any of todays quality broadheads will work fine for elk. I havent ever shot an elk but have shot several very big bodied whitetails. As far as weight forward arrows, they are suppose to give you a more stabil arrow. Ive played around with it a bit but didnt notice much personaly. I think it is more important to have a sufficient front of center and a well tuned bow. Knowing the weight of your arrow as you said does help you calculate your KE, but once you know your general KE I think weighing each arrow is very important. Ive seen some arrow vary as much as 15 or 20 grains or more once they are ready to shoot. I like to weigh each arrow just tomake sure everthing is as consistant as possible. Knowing your equipment and having the best you can afford will help ensure that when it comes crunch time the only thing you have to worry about is yourself. Your bow, arrows and everything else is perfect and shooting great all you have to do is make the shot.