HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Which arrow is best for me for speed and accuracy??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/255843-arrow-best-me-speed-accuracy.html)

mddoss 08-03-2008 02:22 PM

Which arrow is best for me for speed and accuracy???

Just got my bow tuned in today and now I need to buy some arrows. I have a 29 inch draw and my arrows will probably be about this long. Maybe a little shorter. I plan on shooting at about 65lbs. My bow is a very light HCA TSSR. I want speed and accuracy (who doesn't). I dont mind shooting a light arrow and a light tip. 85grain tip is fine with me. 100 is acceptable also but I want speed.

I want carbon arrows. What are some good options. I don't want to pay more than $100 for a dozen.
I here carbon express is good. Also I have a dicks sporting goods and walmart close or I can buy online.
Any recomendations?
Thanks Matt

Kanga 08-03-2008 02:28 PM

RE: Which arrow is best for me for speed and accuracy???

Also I have a ****s sporting goods and walmart close or I can buy online.
Any recomendations?
Yeah dont but arrows from either.;):):D

The Rev 08-03-2008 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Also I have a ****s sporting goods and walmart close or I can buy online.
Any recomendations?
Yeah dont but arrows from either.;):):D
What now you're as smart as your brother dave?:D:D

mddoss 08-03-2008 03:25 PM

Then where and what should I buy? I need arrow sizes also not just names. I am shooting super carbon hunter 55-70and some other arrows that say 400 on them inmy other bow (Matthew's Icon). I am going to try them out in this bow but they are a little longer than they need to be since my rest is back farther on the HCA.

mddoss 08-03-2008 03:27 PM

also, what is all this stuff about spine and foc. No one ever told me anything about this for setting up my other bow.

Kanga 08-03-2008 04:39 PM

I need arrow sizes also not just names
If you are going to shoot 65lb @ 29" drawyou will need a 340 or even a 300 spine arrow. The 400's are going to be too weak in the spine for 65lb @ 29" draw.

davepjr71 08-04-2008 05:15 AM

mddoss,

You can get Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575's for just under $100 (barely)that are very straight and are 8.1 gpp and worth the money.They are by far the thoughest arrows I've used. The Gold Tip XT hunters are not as straight per dozen and $20 cheaper. The 5575'swere perfectly fine for my buddy and his Matthews at 62 lb and a 29" draw with a 28.5" arrow w/ 100 gr tip.

A 300 spine would be way too stiff for your set-up and a 340 probably would be too. Arrow length, tip weight, wrapswill dictate spine along with the draw weight and draw length.

If you have a basspro around you can get them thereor order from either one of the places listed below. They are both excellent with customer service and the guys at Lancaster archery are very good.

www.lancasterarchery.com

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/

rhustek 08-04-2008 09:55 AM

I would suggest Easton Lightspeed 400's for your setup, either the 85 grain or 100 grain would work. Also the PSE Carbon Force arrows are a nice choice as well, probably a 300 in those for your draw weight and length. The length of your arrows can be measured or calculated.

You can estimate the length of an arrow by pulling your bow back to full draw and having another person mark the arrow as close to the rest as you desire, just make sure you have clearance for your broadheads etc. and its long enough not to fall off the rest.

You can also calculate the length of an arrow by starting with a desired overall weight and useing the grains/inch data of that shaft. For 65 lbs the IBO rating of 5 grains/lb would put you at a total weight of 325 grains. Nowafter factoring in your vane weight, nock, tip and everything else you can get yourshaft as short as possible in order to come close to325 grainstotal.

You could probably get more speed from your bow by going under the IBO recommendations however when people talk about how fast their bow is, the IBO standard is assumed. IBO is also the standard weight for warrantee guarantee, another reason people often use this standard.

mddoss 08-04-2008 12:58 PM

Thanks for the help.So if I was shooting an arrow at 65lbs with an 85 grain tip at 29" I would need to buy an arrow that weighed 65*5gpi 325g - 85g = 240g 240g/29" = 8.3 grains per inch.

If I wanted to shoot a 100g tip I could use a lighter arrow, right?
And why are there differing opinions about spine stiffness. 300 340 or 400? Apparently people shoot diffent stuff that works fine for them.

My next question is which would be better? I read of guys putting an extra 50g on a 100g tip.
Does speed reduce accuracy?

and lastly if the gold tipxt hunter tips are not as straight, how much is this going to affect my accuracy at 30yards. I am shooting deer (and whatever else walks out including poachers)so a half inch doesn't really matter to me.

davepjr71 08-04-2008 02:30 PM

To question 1: No, you have to subtract the weight of the insert, nock and vanes. Then divide that by arrow length.

You probably can still use the 5575's or 400 series with a 100 gr tip depending on bow. 5575's are around 8.1 gpi.

Speed does not reduce accuracy. I'm shooting at close to 300 fps just as accurately at when I had a old bow that shot 220 fps. However, a higher FOC will help accuracy and the faster the bow shoots the more tuning issues as well as shooting issues will be magnified.

I shot the XT hunters last year and they shot just fine. However, I cut off of both ends to try and get the arrows as straight as possible. They will shoot well, just not center punch with every arrow and one that is messed up bad will give you fits with a broadhead. If any are bent you can call GT and they will replace the bad ones.

Half inch doesn't matter as long as you are aiming at the vitals with a good shot. It could mean hitting the scapula or leg or missing vitals if you are off. The faster the bow the more you will appreciate straight arrows. The GT's could last you 2 or 3 years if you do not group shoot with them.