HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Diamond Edge draw weight, should 50#= 50#? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/248331-diamond-edge-draw-weight-should-50-50-a.html)

DaveC 06-04-2008 08:12 PM

Diamond Edge draw weight, should 50#= 50#?

Hello all, long time no post...

I ordered and recieved a 50# left hand Diamond Edge for my wife this spring and she has been shooting it 2-3 times a week getting ready for this season.
She loves the bow and is very accurate with it.
Today I went to crank it up and it maxed out at 44#.
We purchased a 50# bow and it even has 50# on the sticker.

My question is, could her draw length (~25") be hurting the draw weight on this bow?
Should it max out at 50# no matter what the length?

Thanks, DaveC

Old/New 06-04-2008 08:48 PM

RE: Diamond Edge draw weight, should 50#= 50#?

I'm not positive but believe this bow should come much closer to 50# if not more. I have a Diamond Liberty 50-60# and it maxed out at 63.

Doegirl75 06-04-2008 08:52 PM

The cables could have crept with prolonged shooting. Measure the bow's axle to axle length and brace height and see if it's still in spec.

DaveC 06-04-2008 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

The cables could have crept with prolonged shooting. Measure the bow's axle to axle length and brace height and see if it's still in spec.
Good call. I've gotten so used to Bowtech & Bucknasty's quality strings thatI forgot to check this first.
Whatever string material Diamond (bowtech) used on the Edge are as thick as boot laces-not tight like 8125/ 452x material.

BGfisher 06-05-2008 11:55 AM

It's not just the cables. If it were just the cables then the draw length would have gotten longer and they weight would go up. Most likely it's both the string and cables, in which case, there is less preload on the limbs. Check the A2A (probablky long) and the brace height (probably low).

You can twist the present string/cables to get the bow back to specs or as you already have experience with them----Bucknasty.

DaveC 06-05-2008 12:30 PM

As thick as the factory shoestrings are a set of Bucknasty's could only improve on a great bow....

I just check the specs and the timing marks I placed on the cams when new are still "on".

32 5/8" @ 6.5" brace

I need to look the specs up since the cheesey owners manual doesn't list them (man I miss the pre 2005 Bowtech owners manuals)

OHbowhntr 06-05-2008 08:48 PM

Not the first or second one I've heard of. I think I'd put some new strings on it, but if that doesn't get it, I'd make issue with the company. That's sad when a bow is 6# short of it's peak weight when max'd out.

MeanV2 06-05-2008 09:30 PM

Strings and cables stretch and specs get off. A lot depends on what the bow is exposed to. It's really a simple fix and that canhappen to any Bow.

Also scales vary widely, but I would guess specs are off at least a little.;)

Dan

FlAllyGuy 06-06-2008 04:01 PM

The guy I do just abot all of my business with said sometime the bows will come in either light or heavy. I just bought a Darton bow for my son and was going to get a 60# so I could crank it down and put him at 50. He was shooting 45 with his old bow. The guy called me and told me he had a light 70# bow that only turns up to 67#. Darton says not to turn the limb bolts out more than 5 turns which turned out to be perfect. At about 3 pounds per turn, the bow is down to 52 pounds. Thats great for me cause this bow will take my son well into the time he can afford to buy hisown the next time. I am still really new to this archery stuff so take it fo what it is worth. Just offering my 2 cents. But IMO 6 pounds I would think would be a little much.

Doegirl75 06-07-2008 05:09 AM

ORIGINAL: DaveC

As thick as the factory shoestrings are a set of Bucknasty's could only improve on a great bow....

I just check the specs and the timing marks I placed on the cams when new are still "on".

32 5/8" @ 6.5" brace

I need to look the specs up since the cheesey owners manual doesn't list them (man I miss the pre 2005 Bowtech owners manuals)
Edge specs: http://www.diamondarchery.com/the_edge.php

And I agree, the new Bowtech manuals really don't supply very much useful information.