Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New sight and peep? >

New sight and peep?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New sight and peep?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 PM

Default New sight and peep?

Have any of you seen any multiple fixed pin magnified hunting sights? Toxonics has one. You can even easily remove the lens. It is perfect for 3D and hunting. I am getting it. The sight that I have has exposed fibers and would not last one hunt in thick woods. I need a peep for it now. This is where I need your help. What is the difference between a verifier and a clarifier? I am near sighted if that matters. I think it matters if you are far sighted and not neer sighted, but I could be wrong. Let me know.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 PM

Default RE: New sight and peep?

I would like a list of high end peeps that would work. Let me know.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:14 AM

The picture is of the Top Dog model from 2007. Toxonics changed the names in 2008. Has anyone shot with these scopes. I can only hope so.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

1) I would not recommend using a lens in a hunting situation. They have a tendency to fog and accumulate water droplets that can obscure the details of what you are aiming at.

2) If you are going to use the lens for 3D then you are moving yourself up to the unlimited class where the guys with the long stabs and scopes shoot. While it is possible, it is not likely that you will be competitive in this class given the setup you have described in your signature.

As for the sight itself, there is nothing wrong with the Tox sights, but I would recommend that you take a look at the Spot Hogg Hoggit as an alternative.

For the peep, you would do fine with either a Specialty Archery super ball peep or one of the G5 peeps. I prefer the ball peep over the G5 because it allows me to change apertures or shoot it without an aperture at all for a hunting situation.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:56 PM

Check out the viper line of sights. They are all threaded for so you can easily add and remove a lens, and you can buy them with or without the lens. As for the peep I agree with RedLine, I have a ball peep for the same reason. I can't shoot with the lens in my sight in the novice class and without the lens in i can't use my clarifier. I have a 1/16 aperture with no lens in it when I don't have the lens in my sight and with my 4x lens I use a #2 clarifier. As far as the difference in the verifier and the clarifier, I think, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, the verifier will help if you are having trouble seeing your pins and the clarifier will clear up what you see through the lens on your sight. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:01 PM

With the ASA shoots, you shoot fixed pins with magnification and any stabilizer in the unlimited class out to 45 and the hunter class is fixed pins with magnification stablizer 12 inches or shorter.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FlAllyGuy

With the ASA shoots, you shoot fixed pins with magnification and any stabilizer in the unlimited class out to 45 and the hunter class is fixed pins with magnification stablizer 12 inches or shorter.
You have to have fixed pins if you shoot in a ASA tournament? I wasn't aware of this rule.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:23 PM

Only in certain classes. Bow novice, mens and womens hunter, and mens and womens unlimited classes. You also cam't shoot with a lens in the bow novice class.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:16 PM

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

1) I would not recommend using a lens in a hunting situation. They have a tendency to fog and accumulate water droplets that can obscure the details of what you are aiming at.

2) If you are going to use the lens for 3D then you are moving yourself up to the unlimited class where the guys with the long stabs and scopes shoot. While it is possible, it is not likely that you will be competitive in this class given the setup you have described in your signature.

As for the sight itself, there is nothing wrong with the Tox sights, but I would recommend that you take a look at the Spot Hogg Hoggit as an alternative.

For the peep, you would do fine with either a Specialty Archery super ball peep or one of the G5 peeps. I prefer the ball peep over the G5 because it allows me to change apertures or shoot it without an aperture at all for a hunting situation.
1) The lens is removable for hunting.

2) Is that automatic? What I mean is, if I get a sight with a lens/scope, am I automatically put into the unlimited class?
Old 06-02-2008, 03:52 PM

You can shoot what ever class you want as long as they allow magnification in that class. IMO if you are going to shoot fixed pins withh a lens I would start with the hunter class, especially if you haven't ahot any asa shoots or any other bigger type shoots. That also depends on if you like shooting unknown yardages too. Unlimited is unknown for both rounds. Also if you plan to shoot a one of the big asa shoots you have speed to worry about also. Local shoots dont matter too much. I think that 82nd at 73 lbs might be a bit too fast.

Quick Reply: New sight and peep?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.