Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 The Lowly Bowstring:  What a Critical Component >

The Lowly Bowstring: What a Critical Component

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The Lowly Bowstring: What a Critical Component

Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 PM

Default The Lowly Bowstring: What a Critical Component

I called John Mraz (AKA Gibblet) today to order another set of strings/cables. Got into an extended discussion about bowstrings. John builds the best strings I ever used and really knows his stuff. Apparently,very few bow manufacturers use strings that won't continually creep over the life of the bow. They use a string material that boosts up the IBO ratings of their bows four or five fps at the expense of stability. The string material that doesn't stretch hardly at all (BCY452X)apparently is a little slower over the chronograph.

I have a new (2007) Vectrix XL that I am fighting right now . . . I get it tuned and then, a hundred arrows later, not tuned any more. Check the ATA and it has stretched another 1/8". Can't wait to get those Fuse strings off of there and into the trash can!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The Lowly Bowstring: What a Critical Component

While good materials are certainly an important part of a good string, it is in the construction where the art form is.

I have had strings made of 452X that a guy at our club made that just kept creeping and creeping.....pure junk and a waste of $80. I have also had properly built strings that after being shot in (~100 shots) simply refused to budge....even after 2 years.

The 452X will probably slow your rig down a few fps, but should remain stable until they are plain worn out.
8125 makes a faster string but seems to creep when the temperature get up there.
Currently I have a Vapor Trail string and cable set on my Trykon XL using their VTX material. The speed was comparable to the original fuse string (which I never even bothered to put a peep in) but has been as stable as the 452X string on my target rig.

I am sure Gibblet's strings are of equal or better quality and wouldn't hesitate to use him when my VTs finally give up the ghost.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:52 PM

I was trying to think of the material John was referring to as a "faster but less stable" string material - it was 8125. I used Winner's Choice strings prior to Gibblet and was fairly pleased . . . it's just that his workmanship is so much better.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had some strings and cables made of d-75 that were rock solid for a long time because of quality construction.Serving and proper twist is the key.

I have my cables made with ultra cam and strings made with 452x and have zero issues with anything moving on me.

I have never had that much trouble out of the cheap strings that Hoyt uses,unless I left them in excessive heat.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 PM

I bought a new Martin Bengal last year. Decided to spring for a set of strings/cables. Had about 200 shots on it by the time the new ones came in and had adjusted/turned the peep a half dozen times.

Put the new ones on (Sorry don't know the material..blue and brown and "as many strands as will fit in the cams")

I've adjusted the peep twice. They were within the first 100 shots. I'm probably around 6-700 shots now.

For $40 bucks...the peep issue ALONE is worth it to me.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 PM

Where did you get a quality string/cable setfor $40? John's are $65, and Winner's Choice are almost $30 more.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Don't know how the rules are about sponsors and what not on here. But I sent you a PM roskoe. If it's alright you can post his info...I'm sure he won't mind the free publicity!!![8D]
Old 05-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

No problems in publicly posting info someone asked about like that. It's when someone comes on and has a total of 3 posts, and they all say "come check out xyz website..." that we start clamping down.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Alright, the guy's name is Philip McMahan...goes by Deezlin if you visit AT.com

If not you can email him at: littlejon (the "at" symbol) horizonview ( "dot" ) com

^^^^No spaces obviously, just don't want to give his address to the spam vultures^^^^^

Went back and looked at some old PMs and it was $45 for a single cam. Double/dual are more and all this was before he went full-time. He's gotten a little more of a customer base now so they might have gone up a little. I highly recommend him even he has...I've not "owned" the WC or VaporTrails or Bucknasty's. But I've held and looked at bows that do have those strings. He's not playing catch-up, he's right there there with them and a great personality to work with.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

You are 100% correct Soilarch, Phil knows his strings and will bend over backwards to make sure your happy. His strings come with 12 month warranty. I ordered a set as a backup but they looked so good that I took theVapor Trail off and put the Little Jon's on, quality string/cable for sure. Mine cost $65 but I think you can get 'em a little cheaper.

Quick Reply: The Lowly Bowstring: What a Critical Component

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.