Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What is the lightest arrow on the market? >

What is the lightest arrow on the market?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is the lightest arrow on the market?

Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What is the lightest arrow on the market?

First of all, the 82nd at 73 pounds will need an arrow that will spine properly for a corrected draw weight of about 85 pounds. You need a much stiffer arrowthan you would need with a typical single cam bow at the same specs.

Forget about the weight of an arrow and make sure that you have a properly spined arrow. The 82nd is MOOOOORE than fast enough to propel a 450 grain arrow at around 300fps with your draw weight and draw length.

Some arrows that would work well for you are...
Maxima 350 which you are already using.
Carbon Express CX400
Easton ACC 3-71
Easton epic, axis 300
Beman ICS 300
Gold Tip 7595

They don't make a Redline that will spine properly for your bow.
They don't make an ACE that will spine properly for your bow.

The Gold Tip Pro Hunter Black 7595 and Carbon Express Maxima Black 350 are ideal for that set-up. However, the ideal we3ight is back to 365 grains total, which means I need to loose 70.18 grains to get down to 365 grains total arrow weight.
Why do you figure the "ideal weight" should be 365 grains. This is far from ideal. It is the MINIMUM arrow weight that Bowtech will cover under warranty should your bow break. IMO an ideal weight for you would be an arrow weighing 500 - 550 grains and shot between 275 and 290 fps. I would opt for heavier. Your bow will be quieter, last longer, less hand shock and vibration, strings last longer, easier to shoot accurately, your kinetic energy will go up a couple of foot pounds and your momentum will go up a great deal which will greatly increase penetration.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

First of all, the 82nd at 73 pounds will need an arrow that will spine properly for a corrected draw weight of about 85 pounds. You need a much stiffer arrowthan you would need with a typical single cam bow at the same specs.

Forget about the weight of an arrow and make sure that you have a properly spined arrow. The 82nd is MOOOOORE than fast enough to propel a 450 grain arrow at around 300fps with your draw weight and draw length.

Some arrows that would work well for you are...
Maxima 350 which you are already using.
Carbon Express CX400
Easton ACC 3-71
Easton epic, axis 300
Beman ICS 300
Gold Tip 7595

They don't make a Redline that will spine properly for your bow.
They don't make an ACE that will spine properly for your bow.

The Gold Tip Pro Hunter Black 7595 and Carbon Express Maxima Black 350 are ideal for that set-up. However, the ideal we3ight is back to 365 grains total, which means I need to loose 70.18 grains to get down to 365 grains total arrow weight.
Why do you figure the "ideal weight" should be 365 grains. This is far from ideal. It is the MINIMUM arrow weight that Bowtech will cover under warranty should your bow break. IMO an ideal weight for you would be an arrow weighing 500 - 550 grains and shot between 275 and 290 fps. I would opt for heavier. Your bow will be quieter, last longer, less hand shock and vibration, strings last longer, easier to shoot accurately, your kinetic energy will go up a couple of foot pounds and your momentum will go up a great deal which will greatly increase penetration.
x2, thanks for saving me the typing!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 PM

I think that I am going to go with the Carbon Express Maxima 350 3D Select at 8.2 gpi. I will then remove the crappy red logo leaving behind a perfectly black carbon arrow. Fletch some 4" or 5" solid black feathers on to them, add black Carbon Express CXL nocks, and black Magnus 125 grain screw-in Snuffer broadheads. In total, the arrow comes to 413.48 grains with 4" feathers and a little more with 5" feathers. Right now I am leaning towards the 5" feathers because they give the arrows a better FOC. Lets call it 415 grains with 5" feathers. I can live with that. What do you guys think about this? Will it fly?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 PM

Thanks for all of the information.

I love the Carbon Express Maxima 350 3D Selects. They are light at 8.2 gpi, strong, and held to very strict tolerance standards.
The Carbon Express CX400 is not as light as the Maxima 350 3D selects.
The Easton ACC 3-71 are way heavy at 9.9 gpi.
The Easton epic, axis 300 have a weight issue as well at 10.0 gpi.
The Beman ICS 300 are heavy as well at 9.5 gpi.
The Gold Tip Black 7595 are a close second because they weigh in at 8.9 gpi and are not held to very strict tolerance standards.

The verdict: Carbon Express Maxima 350 3D Selects.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Adding weight to the back of your arrow (5" feather as opposed to 4") will reduce your FOC. Not that the difference in feather weight will mean too much difference.

Additionally with all of the weight you are shooting up front, I don't see any need for the extra length of the 5" feather. A 4" feather fletched with some offset will stabilize your arrows just fine.

As for the Gold Tip arrows, what gives you the impression that the tolerances are not held tightly? While I don't shoot the Expedition or XT shafts, the Pro shafts (gold band) have always proven to be extremely consistent in the several dozen that I have bought. Also if you look under the target shafts, you can get the Gold Tip Ultralight Pro 7595 shafts (8.5gpi).

Not this part is purely opinion....

While I sort of understand your desire for an all black shaft for the 3D course, especially if your buddies like to chase nocks, I can't see why you would want a completely black shaft for hunting. It would make finding the arrow, in the leaves and such after a pass thru nearly impossible. It will also make it significantly more difficult to determine the type of blood and thus the type of hit when you look at your shaft.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

First of all, the 82nd at 73 pounds will need an arrow that will spine properly for a corrected draw weight of about 85 pounds.
bigbulls, could you explain in small words why this is? Is it simply because it is a fast bow?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

Adding weight to the back of your arrow (5" feather as opposed to 4") will reduce your FOC. Not that the difference in feather weight will mean too much difference.

Additionally with all of the weight you are shooting up front, I don't see any need for the extra length of the 5" feather. A 4" feather fletched with some offset will stabilize your arrows just fine.

As for the Gold Tip arrows, what gives you the impression that the tolerances are not held tightly? While I don't shoot the Expedition or XT shafts, the Pro shafts (gold band) have always proven to be extremely consistent in the several dozen that I have bought. Also if you look under the target shafts, you can get the Gold Tip Ultralight Pro 7595 shafts (8.5gpi).

Not this part is purely opinion....

While I sort of understand your desire for an all black shaft for the 3D course, especially if your buddies like to chase nocks, I can't see why you would want a completely black shaft for hunting. It would make finding the arrow, in the leaves and such after a pass thru nearly impossible. It will also make it significantly more difficult to determine the type of blood and thus the type of hit when you look at your shaft.
I say that they are not held to very tight standards in comparison with the Carbon Express Maxima 3D Select.

Regarding the all black arrow, which looks amazing regardless, you nailed it right on the nose as to why I use it for 3D, but I put on Easton Tracer X-Nock. It takes away from the cool factor of an all black arrow, but at least I can find it. They are very consistent. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

bigbulls, could you explain in small words why this is? Is it simply because it is a fast bow?
Basically.
It has an aggressive cam and a very short brace height which increases thepower stroke. The more agressive the cam and the longer the power stroke the stiffer you need the shaft.

Go to Carbonexpressarrows.com and use theiradjusted weightchart. Use the specs for a 82nd and thenspecs for a mild single cam like a Diamond justice. The adjusted weight will be about 8-10 pounds different. This is the only manufacturerI know of that offers a chart like this that you can use if you don't have spine selection software on your computer.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:25 AM

Spine selection software sounds pretty cool, but i'll just use the calculator on www.carbonexpressarrows.com
Old 05-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Basically.
It has an aggressive cam and a very short brace height which increases thepower stroke. The more agressive the cam and the longer the power stroke the stiffer you need the shaft.

Go to Carbonexpressarrows.com and use theiradjusted weightchart. Use the specs for a 82nd and thenspecs for a mild single cam like a Diamond justice. The adjusted weight will be about 8-10 pounds different. This is the only manufacturerI know of that offers a chart like this that you can use if you don't have spine selection software on your computer.
Makes sense. Thanks. I use OnTarget and let it do all the work. It certainly has worked well for me.

Quick Reply: What is the lightest arrow on the market?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.