Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 calling all fingers shooters... >

calling all fingers shooters...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

calling all fingers shooters...

Old 05-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default calling all fingers shooters...

I've got a neighbor who wants to return to shooting fingers; he just put in his order for a Hoyt Montego wheelie bow. Years ago he used to shoot a simple flipper-style rest. He was asking me what was popular these days, and I honestly don't know.

I told him the last popular fingers-style rest I was aware of was the Star Hunter, I think it was called? It had a supporting spring steel blade underneath, and one coming in from the riser side to handle the paradox or whatever it's called that fingers shooters impart upon release.

Anything else out there he should take a look at these days?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: calling all fingers shooters...

I shot fingers for years! If I were to return I would set up a plunger button with a support rest on the bottom. I think with fingers give on both side and bottom support are important. Althoughthe type rest you are talking about would work Greg

Dan
Old 05-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg, I've been a finger shooter for most of my life and went to a release a couple years ago. The arrow star rest is a good versitile rest but when finger shooting the arrow at times the arrow will slide between the two metal prongs. The flipper rest is a good go to rest for finger shooters.
If he is going to shoot fingers the most important thing is to have a bow with a brace of about 8" to relieve the finger pressure. The shorter the bow the more finger pressure you'll have.
I'm looking at the Bowtech Constitution and the hoyt vantage which have 8 and 8.25" and go back to finger shooting. The only draw back is that in order to have a longer brace length you have too shoot a longer bow to achieve this in which the bow will be around 41 or 42" axle to axle.
Good luck,

Bobby
Old 05-03-2008, 12:33 PM
bigcountry

You just can't beat the bodoodle finger rests IMO. But with a plunger style its easier to adjust for stiff or weak spines. Thats the beuty of fingers, as long as both is tuned, it doens't matter.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot fingers for about 10 years now and I wasn't completely happy until I put a Whisker Buscuit on my bow. I've had every type of rest imaginable on my bow and they all lacked. Whisker Buscuit for me.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 PM

Like bigcountry said the most forgiving rest for finger shooters is the flipper/plunger type, such as the NAP flipper. The old NAP plungerrest was one of the best, but it is not made anymore. The star hunter is also good. For hunting situations, the bodoodle and the whisker biscuit are more bullet proof, (the arrow won't fall off the rest when drawing the bow) but with either of these rests, your arrow spine must be exactly right. It can be frustrating to get it perfect. Also some finger shooters use the trophy ridge dropzone. It also suffers from the problem of being very unforgiving of improper arrow spine. I used one for several years and it was only happy with stiff arrows. I'm currently shooting a homemade spinoff of the NAP plungerrest which is fairly tolerant of small changes in spine.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Greg,

There are alot of good suggestions from everyone. But when i used to shoot fingers i had alot of good luck with this rest, NAP centerest flipper.
http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Archery_Equipment_-_Supplies/Arrow_Rests/New_Archery_Products_Arrow_Rests/NAP_Centerest_Flipper_RH/Page_1/ARR2348005.html

Old 05-07-2008, 05:16 PM

whisker biscuit. not too expensive to try out. get the right size for the arrow you are using. very important whiskers dont make contact at top of arrow or it will be noisy and slow your arrow down. great rest for the finger shooter. safer too especially when letting down.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 AM

I shoot fingers and use a Cavalier Free Flyte on my new X7. That works very well.
How does a Whisker Biscuit handle the 'Archers Paradox' for finger shooters? Does it cope well with the left/right movement of the arrow when shot with fingers?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot the star rest when I was shooting fingers, and it worked well, but pretty much useless whe it comes to leaving an arrow nocked and having the bow hanging (ie. in a tree) as there is no containment of any kind. I've shot the Montega a good bit, and it is a very good choice for finger shooters. I've also shot my Commander with fingers, just for fun, and its not too bad either. The Montega is definitely the way to go though. My old bow ( a Barnsdale custom) is 49" ATA.

Quick Reply: calling all fingers shooters...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.