Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 center shot question >

center shot question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

center shot question

Old 05-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default center shot question

I took my bow to the shop for a yearly tune up. When I got it back home I inspected it carefully and my centershot is 1/64 right of where it used to be. Yes, I studied this specific tuning point carefully beforehand and recorded its exact position on the bow. I noted this especially because TFOX said that incorrect center shot can spray arrows left and right.

My question is, can string stretch, orthe bow breaking in, or anything like that cause a need for center shot to be re-adjusted? My bow was never bumped or dropped. I handled it like a newborn baby.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: center shot question

Anyone?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

If it is shooting good dont worry about the 1/64
Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 PM

It's hard to say. They may have put their lazer on it and made a small adjustment. It's only a means to an end anyway. The bottom line is: does the bow paper tune? Shoot field points and broadheads very close to the same spot? Does it group well? Does the walk back show vertical consistency? Those sort of things.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 AM

Ditto on what Roskoe said. I highly doubt the 1/64 makes much difference really since they might have changed your cam timing...added a twist here or there to the cable and/or bowstring....adjusted tiller...messed with your limb bolts, or all of the above. Between any of that and any string stretch, your poundage may have changed some, along with cam timing etc. Time to reshoot it...to retune it to your particular form. A bowshop can get things back into spec..get it good and ready to shoot...but only you can "tune" your bow. They can't do that for you...not w/o a lot of one-on-one time with you personally.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

I took my bow to the shop for a yearly tune up. When I got it back home I inspected it carefully and my centershot is 1/64 right of where it used to be. Yes, I studied this specific tuning point carefully beforehand and recorded its exact position on the bow. I noted this especially because TFOX said that incorrect center shot can spray arrows left and right.

My question is, can string stretch, orthe bow breaking in, or anything like that cause a need for center shot to be re-adjusted? My bow was never bumped or dropped. I handled it like a newborn baby.
If the arrow is perfectly spined to the bow, then centershot should be dead center. Rarely do I find dead center is the optimal spot. Take it out and bareshaft shoot it, and see where the bareshafts hit in relation to the fletched ones. I do this at 30 yards, then 40 if everything is perfect. That will tell the tale.