Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best Bow?

Old 05-02-2008, 01:40 PM

Default RE: Best Bow?

A Martin, Fred Bear, or Reflex would be a great starter. You can often find them used over on e-bay or Archery Talk Classifieds for a couple hundred bucks. Just make sure you know someone who is savy on tuning to set it up once you get it.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

I would try to find a good pro shop and try some bows out. Then when your ready to buy they can set it up right for you.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:53 PM

My plans were to buy the Martin Bengal or Moab. But when I got to the local Pro Shop, Scott was nice enough to ready all the Bows he had in my price range to try out. After shooting about 6-7 Bows, I chose the PSE Brute. I like the extra weight over the Bengal and Moab. Every bow has its Own personality, just like people. Try as Many out before you buy. you will know which is the right one, it will feel and perform well for your body and Shooting style. Good Bow hunting. Man Law: when you find the right Bow, you have to Post a pic of your new Baby. Here's my PSE Brute for you to take a look at.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:15 AM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Mathews Drenalin, not DXT, get one!

Other guys may say other brands.....they're lying to you because they got stuck with some other junker and don't want to admit it to themselves that Mathews clearly is the best!

Also you can save some cash, but chances are you'll become an addict, so with that in mind you may want to buy the Drenalin from Mathews, rather than a cheaper Mathews......though if you do get a cheaper one....

Get a Classic or Switchback.
Why would anyone purchase a $700-800 bow as a starter bow?? The best for him is the one that fits well .

Don't spend big bucks on a bow that you do not like!!! Try everything you can get your hands on before making the leap.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

PSE Deerhunter pkg. Gotta be the best bow/price for a starter. You get the great quality of PSE with all the accessories you need. Very forgiving bow. Doesnt have all the crazy looking gadgets and shapes that you might find on Bowtechs to make them all look good. This isa nice shooting compound bow. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

you can get some great deals in our classified sections.
Any good deal you get is a good deal. No matter what it is or how old or new it is.
I would sugesst something with a 50-60lb draw range.
Go get your draw length measured at you local shop.
Look for a bow with at least a 7" brace hight. thats fairly important.
newer bows are going to be smoother, and a bit more shock free. I shot a black bear from the age of 10-15. It got the job done. then I moved to a HCA power force. that was a great bow too. neither had parallel limbs and they shot great and killed deer.
Now I shoot a diamond justice. Got a great deal. Had confidence in it and bought it sight unseen. I have yet to shoot a modern bow that I didnt like, with the exception of the matthews Drenalin.
so go shoot a bunch of them, and browse the classifieds.
Good luck!!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:14 PM

The browning Rage has a great draw length range and it is inexpensive! You might also consider the Fred Bear Instinct. Both are great for beginners.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nvshooter

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Mathews Drenalin, not DXT, get one!

Other guys may say other brands.....they're lying to you because they got stuck with some other junker and don't want to admit it to themselves that Mathews clearly is the best!

Also you can save some cash, but chances are you'll become an addict, so with that in mind you may want to buy the Drenalin from Mathews, rather than a cheaper Mathews......though if you do get a cheaper one....

Get a Classic or Switchback.
Why would anyone purchase a $700-800 bow as a starter bow?? The best for him is the one that fits well .

Don't spend big bucks on a bow that you do not like!!! Try everything you can get your hands on before making the leap.

Yeah I agree...DEFINETLY not for a starter.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 AM

My vote goes for the PSE STINGER $399. including all the acc.