Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Newbie Questions >

Newbie Questions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbie Questions

Old 04-25-2008, 12:04 PM

Default Newbie Questions

Hey all, I am new to bow hunting and had a few questions.

Because I am disabled I chose a whisker biscuit rest. I have a problem with the pre-made arrow fletchings hitting it, any tips would be great. I have seen smaller fletchings, and I would like to go to them, would they be called vanes?

Also, I have a 28 inch draw, on a 59lb draw. How do I determine arrow length? Thanks! and I look forward to hearing from you all!

Joe
Old 04-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie Questions

I don't suppose you could post up a picture of the fletching you have on your arrows now, could you? I'm not sure what you're asking for here. Shorter vanes or lower profile vanes?

As to how to determine arrow length, there are a few other steps before getting to that point. First, you have to determine the arrow spine you need to be shooting based on your draw weight, draw length and broadhead/field point weight.

An arrow in the .400" spine deflection range should be about right for your setup. Gold Tip 5575's, Carbon Express 250's or something comperable should be good. What arrows are you shooting now?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:48 PM

The fletchings now are on premade wal mart carbons and they seem to tall, if that makes sense. I am going to get together with a new pal and he is willing to help custom build me some arrows. I can probably get a pic of the bow and arrow up later in the day. I have to wait for the camera to come home from work!

I like the 100 grain broadhead, and from what little I know, your right, the .400 spine should be fine.

The bow was a gift, it is a old carbon extreme that frankly looks like a re curve and has a wheel at the bottom and a cam on the top. I have never been able to find anything on the net about it. Thanks for the help, I really would like to go with a lower profile vane, and shorter if possible.

Joe
Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The arrows Wal Mart sells are invariably fletched with standard 4" vanes. You're going to be hard pressed to find anything with a lower profile without switching to 3" vanes or mini-blazers. Some folks use vanes that small, but I prefer just a little more steerage than those offer.