HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   bowtech General and bow press (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/243149-bowtech-general-bow-press.html)

hutingbuck101 04-20-2008 03:26 PM

bowtech General and bow press

I have a new General and I'm trying to put a peep on it I have a portable cable hand press and thats not working (heard some scary sounds from bow) can I back the limb bolts out? I know Bowtechsugest asurlock press but I thought I read a while back, about someone backing the limb bolts out but making sure you can still see 3 treads on the bolts in the hole of the riser.
any one know if this is true?

lifesadrag 04-20-2008 03:52 PM

RE: bowtech General and bow press

Bowtech's website says you need a press for the General, It's the Guardian that does not require a press. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

dbleyepatches 04-20-2008 05:10 PM

I have always used a simple string seperator on all of my bows to put peep sights in. I don't even change the draw weight to do it. Someone correct me if I am wrong but to simply put a peep sight in I don't thing a press is necessary.

davs2601 04-20-2008 08:50 PM

You do need a bow press to change the strings on the general unlike the guardian. I also know that there is two adapters that are required for typical bow presses

PABowhntr 04-21-2008 12:52 PM

Ditto the above. The General requires a bow press (some specific models of press and/or adaptors) to relax the bow and install a peep, change strings, etc... Information to the specifics is on the website if I am not mistaken (can't access it here at work as the site is blocked). Don't try to back the limb bolts out to relax the bow. Been there, done that and it isn't pretty. ;)

bigcountry 04-21-2008 02:27 PM

Problem about the general is its beyond parrellel. You need the split limb adaptors for the port bow press. I would back out the limbs to min wieght like 60lbs, and then try it. You should be albe to see if it will slip.

JoshKeller 04-21-2008 07:10 PM

Hey PA, i havent had any problems backing out the limb bolts as long as I pulled the cables off the rollers. I back off the limb bolts so you can JUST see end of the boltin that top hole in the pocket. Pull the cables off the rollers and you dont even need to press it anymore to seperate the string to install a peep.

PABowhntr 04-22-2008 05:43 AM

Josh,

That is interesting. I tried basically the same thing back when I received mine. In my case though I could not get the string sufficiently relaxed in order to install the peep...even with the cables off of the rollerguard. I ended having one of the bolts pop out of the riser because I backed it out too far (I still haven't lived that one down with the rest of the staff... ;)).

I am going to have to check into it but I am beginning to wonder if they didn't start machining the riser to accept longer limb bolts. It would make perfect sense and hope they consider it in the future.

RefusetoFollow 04-24-2008 07:20 PM

I have a General too and just bought a Bowmaster portable bow press. I also bought the split limb adapters but they still don't fit. They aren't wide enough to accomodate the cams. I have heard not to back out the limb bolts though. In fact one of my friends had a General and did just that- not a good thing.

Len in Maryland 04-25-2008 07:47 AM

Find a bow shop that has an Apple Dual Super Pro Extreme Press with the parallel limbs adapters and the job becomes very easy.

I know these tools will work because I was involved in the design of these tools to accomodate all the newer bow and crossbow designs forboth solid and split limbs.