Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

buying arrows

Old 04-12-2008, 07:09 PM

Default RE: buying arrows

I go to the smallest shop I have ever seen and don't have that problem. I used to have the owner fletch mine, they weren't perfect, a little glue here and there but they all flew good. I since have bought a fletching tool, glue and the vanes I shoot and do it myself. Not because he wasn't doing a good job but just because I am a do it yourself kinda guy. I don't have a saw so he cuts them for me but I do everything else myself, And I really enjoy doing it. Also if you have the stuff and you tear a vane or something you can just fix it, it's really convenient. Refletched 4 tonight as a matter of fact. And like Ausie-Guy said, if something isn't right, I don't have anyoone too blame but me.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:37 PM

Thats exactly the reason I bought (or made) all the equipment I need to work on my bow. Theres quite a few "pro" shop guys that don't know what the hell they're doing. I do trust one guy with my bow but hes an hour away. Don't need him anymore for tech work but I will drive that hour to give him business.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been to Superior WI. Thought the people there were real neighborly, it was just before Christmas and the place was a frozen waist land, but friendly.

It's a shame. You learned something though, that's the main thing.[8D]
Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

That is a real bummer. I wish shops would focus on their customers more.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:33 PM

I am new to archery and have experienced similar frustration with my local pro shop. I chose the one I did because they were the only Bowtech dealer close and the price for the bow was very reasonable. Except after I bought the bow I realized that every accessory the guy carried was marked 30% higher than everywhere else. Additionally, the guy has astronomical fees for services. Once I shot some vanes off of four of my arrows (that he fletched) he charged me $32 to replace the 5 vanes that had come off. I couldn't believe it. I immediately bought a new jig and will not go back to him. Now I need to learn how to fletch.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:04 PM

X2. Making arrows is kinda enjoyable. And most of the people they hire to do it the shops aren't exactly Air Force Academy material. Also, most of the arrows you get made up in the shops have little or no offset. Make your own, and you can put the kind of helical offset needed for fixed broadheads.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:34 PM

I went to a local pro shop. They were great at first. I asked about a particular bow I was interested in, and they said they haven't had any problems with them. So I bought it. It tuned great at first, but not after a couple of weeks. So I took it back to have them look at it. They adjusted a couple of things and tried different arrows, but it still wouldn't tune right for "me". They then told me that there is nothing wrong with the bow, and thatis just how those particular bows are. They then proceeded to tell me that they have sent a few of those particular bows back for that same tuning reason, which is funny because that is not what they told me before I bought the bow. So they basically said the issue was with me and sent me on my way. So I took the bow to Cabelas. They slapped the bow plane laser on my bow. They found out my idler was leaning. Once they adjusted it, the bow was tuning perfectly again. I know a lot of people bag on the big chains like Cabelas or Bass Pro, but that is where I will keep doing most of my business from now on. Besides, you can't beat their return policy. You can always return things no questions asked. I bought 3 dozen arrows for my bow and had them cut there. I returned them all for a full refund because I couldn't get them to tune right with my bow. This was before I found out the real problem. The pro shops can't afford to take returns like that.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:43 PM

i bought a dozen arrows from cabelas last year. three of them had bad inserts that wouldnt let me screw in a broadhead or field tip
Old 05-04-2008, 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: CCSD34

i bought a dozen arrows from cabelas last year. three of them had bad inserts that wouldnt let me screw in a broadhead or field tip
I've had that happen with arrows I've purchased from pro shops before. Can't really blame Cabelas or the pro shops for that. That is basically the manufacturer of the inserts fault. I'm sure both Cabelas and pro shops would take care of that problem if it was shown to them.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: western outdoors

ORIGINAL: CCSD34

I've had that happen with arrows I've purchased from pro shops before. Can't really blame Cabelas or the pro shops for that. That is basically the manufacturer of the inserts fault. I'm sure both Cabelas and pro shops would take care of that problem if it was shown to them.
i know, im not blaming Cabelas and im sure they would take care of it if i took them to them. I think im just going to pull those insertsout and put new ones in. I guess it can be incentive for a guy to build his own arrows