HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   whisker biscuit question and back tension question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/241610-whisker-biscuit-question-back-tension-question.html)

millerhunter13 04-09-2008 04:27 PM

whisker biscuit question and back tension question

I shoot a biscuit, and i was wondering for you guys that do shoot em, how long do you guys usually replace them. i have had mine for alittle over a year, and its still good but just wondering how long the last. Also i am leaning to shoot backtension with my release, should it feel like the preloading of the trigger and actually releasing the arrow as one motion or no?

KodiakArcher 04-09-2008 05:35 PM

RE: whisker biscuit question and back tension question

My WB is a bit over a year old and is starting to get some stray bristles where the vane passes through. I'll be replacing it when I'm done with brown bear season next month. As far as preloading the trigger I'm not sure what you mean but mine doesn't have any perceptable travel before the shot goes off, just steady, increased back tension until she goes.

millerhunter13 04-09-2008 06:05 PM

see i am using a caliper release cause i only hunt, and when i preload the trigger, like when i put alittle pressure on the trigger, then release with the tension should it feel like one step instead of two, or does it not matter.

KodiakArcher 04-09-2008 06:25 PM

Should just be one step because to "preload" it your applying conscious effort to pull the trigger and chances are that's creaping into your shot. This is where you'll see the benefits of a high quality release whether it's just for hunting or for target shooting as well. We don't even have competition here on the island so I'm just a hunter as well but I like having my shots go off at critters just as if I was shooting for that 12 ring to win nationals, especially when they're at critters that'd just as soon eat you.

millerhunter13 04-10-2008 05:58 PM

so is this normal.

KodiakArcher 04-10-2008 06:10 PM

It's normal for low quality triggers/sears whether they be in a release or a firearm, movement of the trigger should be imperceptible throughout the shot.

centurion 04-10-2008 06:21 PM

When your WB wears out, take a good hard look at the Hostage pro. I have a hostage and it makes no contact with the vanes, is very quiet, and is about 5 fps faster than a WB yet just as fool proof for hunting.

millerhunter13 04-10-2008 06:39 PM

^ how much are they???

whitetailbowhunter 04-10-2008 07:09 PM

I think the hostage pro is around 89.99.

bowdaddy64 04-10-2008 08:01 PM

The hostage (reg) is around 39.00 It only contacts the shaft at 3 points 3 O'CLOCK / 6 O'clock / 9 O'clock The pro is setup the same way but is a alloy frame @ 89$ the (reg) hostage is made of a glass filled extruded polymer (glock frame fame) and is indestructable so far. A 5 to 9 fps increase over the WB and proven quieter. It is part of the newOctane line up from Bowtech/Diamond.I dont believe they would buy out the company that made it on a whim. I am sure it is a tough, capeable rest.