Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow making a "slapping" noise...***Update*** >

Bow making a "slapping" noise...***Update***

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow making a "slapping" noise...***Update***

Old 04-08-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Bow making a "slapping" noise...***Update***

My bow is making a slapping noise and I can't figure out where or what is causing it. It was extremely quiet during deer season but a couple things have changed since then. I've replaced the strings and cables and upgraded from a MZE to a limbdriver. I believe I've checked every possible thing to located the problem. I moved my string suppressor out the way and no change. I have 2 pieces of moleskin on the riser in case the rest hits but it doesn't. I undid the string on the Limb driver so it acted as a fixed position rest and no change. I moved the limb dampers to different locations and nothing. I turned the limbs to different poundages and nothing. I've had cat whiskers on there but that didn't really help.

Any ideas fellas??? It really wasn't that noticeable until I was in my blind practicing this evening.

***UPDATE***

I decided to break my whole bow down this morning. Yeah, call me crazy with 3 days until turkey season but I was confident I could get it back exactly the way it was. Anyway, I greased the limb pockets and everything. Put the bow back together and went to test it out. I still get that slapping noise. I'm going to try some more cat whiskers to see if they do the trick.

BTW, right after I put the bow back together it was still shooting bullet holes and my sights were still on as well.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Default RE: Bow making a "popping" noise...

Does it make a popping noise during the draw or during the shot?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

check set screws on the cam modules, they can become loose and pop when drawing. if it is, locktight blue should be used on them to keep them from backing out.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention a couple things.[&:] This noise is after I release. I've checked the module screws as well and they were good.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:22 PM

Maybe the noise would be better described as a slapping noise. Could the limbs be doing this?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM

Do you have an STS type system on your bow?

Is it only making this noise in the blind or did it make the noise outside the blind too?

I would also have someone else listen while you shoot and see if they can hear it. Sometimes we make up funny sounds for no reason.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

Do you have an STS type system on your bow?

Is it only making this noise in the blind or did it make the noise outside the blind too?

I would also have someone else listen while you shoot and see if they can hear it. Sometimes we make up funny sounds for no reason.
Yes, I have an STS and I moved it out the way to see if it was the problem and also put it back to its correct position. I couldn't really hear the noise until I was in the blind. A buddy that I shoot with has been hearing it the last couple times I've shot. I never really noticed until today in the blind.

I just put the bow on my draw board to see if the cams were hitting the limbs and they don't appear to be. I've already had to replace one set of limbs because my cams were rubbing them. Could it be in the limb pockets? I really don't think its an accessory problem.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you using a peep tube??? Have you had your limb pockets greased lately?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:07 AM

Not using a peep tube. Do you think my limb pockets need to be greased? Its probably been a while since that was done.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd think string slapping your sleeve?Or maybe your rest is smacking the arrow shelf?

Quick Reply: Bow making a "slapping" noise...***Update***

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.