Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Inserts and Axis arrows...what's the big deal?? >

Inserts and Axis arrows...what's the big deal??

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Inserts and Axis arrows...what's the big deal??

Old 04-07-2008, 08:34 AM

Default Inserts and Axis arrows...what's the big deal??

I have changed to Axis arrows, no particular reason other than heavier arrow size, what is the deal with the HIT inserts? are they beneficial??
Old 04-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Default RE: Inserts and Axis arrows...what's the big deal??

You bet. They provide superb alignment with the broadhead/field point. The inside diameter of the arrow shaft is only a couple of thousands of an inch bigger than the outside diameter of the screw-in point. For this to happen, the actual insert needs to be 1/2" or so back inside the arrow shaft.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:32 PM

cool
Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are a couple of advantages that don't really get noticed.

Because the insert is inside the arrow shaft, when the arrow hits something, the force is transmitted through the insert, through the center of the broadhead. The inside of the shaft is stronger than the outside, therefore the strongest part of your shaft is supporting the impact. And since the center of the arrow is pushing through the target rather than the whole diameter of the shaft, you get better penetration.

Now, did that all make sense?
Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, that would make sense if the broadhead wasn't screwed tight against the front of the shaft thus negating everything you just said.

The only real benefit to a HIT insert is that it allows the use of a skinnier and heavierwrapped carbon shaft instead of having to use outserts like we did when carbon arrows first came out. Being skinnier and heavier will aid in increased penetration.

Broadhead alignment is still dependant of how square the shaft is cut to begin with justlike it is with regular inserts.Also the tollerances of the broadhead itself and the shaft itself.

Believe me, it is just as easy to get a boradhead misaligned with a HIT arrow as it is with a standard carbon arrow.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:30 PM

man bigbulls, you just deflated me seriously!![:-][&o][&o]
Old 04-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry.

The axis arrows are as good as any other arrow and theshaft itself is actually stronger than many other carbon arrows because of how thick the shaft walls are and the thinner shaft aids in penetration. But the HIT insert is only made that way because it had to be made that way in order to get a wrapped shaft that skinny.

If the HIT inserts were that much of a benefit I think that Easton would be using a HIT insert (or atleast offer them)in all of their arrows but they aren't. They still use regular inserts in all of their other arrow shafts.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 PM

I agree that the shaft had to be made that way - this represents the minimum in shaft inside diameter, unless of course they made the screw in part of the arrow head smaller. But I have done quite a bit of spin testing; and these HIT inserts give the best alignment so far. Of course I cut my arrow with precision machine tool, so the the and of the shaft is perfectly square. But with the old outserts, the only way I could get real consistent alignment was to put each shaft in a collet and put a light face cut across the outsert - to at least get the shoulder of the head the shoulder up against a square face.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls
Believe me, it is just as easy to get a boradhead misaligned with a HIT arrow as it is with a standard carbon arrow.
I've found it to be even more critical with HIT shafts. The real disadvantage to them is that they have to be epoxied in so that you can't easily remove and reseat them if you get that odd, ornery arrow that won't provide good alignment. Be sure you insert them as far as the tool allows so that you can retrue the end of the shaft in that case.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

But with the old outserts, the only way I could get real consistent alignment was to put each shaft in a collet and put a light face cut across the outsert - to at least get the shoulder of the head the shoulder up against a square face.
If I understand what you are saying correctly you are talking about squaring off the face of the standard insert? I do this with the G5 Arrow Squaring Device. Actually I square the shaft before gluing in the insert and then, once the insert glue is dry, square off the insert. I always get good alignments like that.

Quick Reply: Inserts and Axis arrows...what's the big deal??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.