Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Lets talk back tension.... >

Lets talk back tension....

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Lets talk back tension....

Old 04-01-2008, 05:11 PM

Default Lets talk back tension....

Just got my new release today. Its the Tru ball tru tension ultra 3. I've been playing around with it and its going to take a little getting used to. I'm willing to stick it out though b/c my target panic is starting to get out of control. Believe me when I say that!

I've always been intimidated by this type of release aid. Anyway,I bought about 6' of 1/8" nylon rope and made a simulated bow string at about my drawlength. I've been practicing holding and releasing. I'm not too sure if I'm really using my back muscles or just turning my hand. I'm trying to use my back muscles but nothing happens and I have to cheat a little. I no want to cheat!Any suggestions? Thanks.

Donnie
Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 PM

Default RE: Lets talk back tension....

If your practice loop isn't just the right length, the back muscles will be very hard to use to activate the release. Learning to use your back muscles WITHOUT any cheating is a very hard thing to do...at least for me anyway.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is hard to learn but well worth the time.

pm sent.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:52 PM

Thanks guys! It may be hard at first since I have turkey season going on through May. I'll probably be switching back and forth between this release and my trigger. Thats probably not recommended but I'm going to turkey hunt. After that, it will definitely be all back tension.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:55 PM

Quick question. Do you guys pull back with the index finger around the head of the release and the thumb on the post (basically one finger) or do you rest all your fingers on the release and draw that way? I haven't tried it the last way but it seems like it would be difficult and risky.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started out just around the post areabut now I can put my hand on the whole release and pull,just making sure the pressure is on the post.

Don't worry about switching back and forth,I did it while I was learning and it helped with the wrist release,even if I didn't completely have the bt yet.

You do want to make a complete commitment at some point though.The setup on the bow will probably change slightly if you are wanting to shoot full time with a bt but I don't advise it for hunting.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Typical Buck

By hooking your thumb over the post and using your index finger to pull, you are essentially locking the release so that it does not fire during the draw. Until you get really.........really comfortable with the release, I suggest keeping all of the pressure on those two fingers. The same thing goes for letting down, hook your thumb over the post and relax your middle, ring and pinky as you let down.

You can put some pressure on the middle finger as it is right next to the pivot point and will probably not cause that much rotation of the release, however anything further out is just begging to have the release fire on you.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 AM

ah man, i've got a scar on my bottom lip from learning - took a lot to convince the neighbors my lady didn't pop me. don't get ahead of your shot sequence in your mind - and it won't happen to you.

it takes time to learn what to relax and what to tighten, and then to do it - specially the relaxing part. core archery by larry wise is a pretty darn good book about it.

don't cheat. you'll never learn it. don't accept that from yourself. there is a moment during the proper release of a back tension shot that is supreme - over and over again.
it will take you to the zone.

hi everyone! been too busy to hang -working, working, working, and trying to have a little fun too. hope all is well here, and everyone is shooting great. john

Old 04-02-2008, 06:30 AM

I don't really think a back tension release is a good cure for target panick. You can punch a back tension release just as easily once you figure out how they work. Your better off blind bale shooting and aiming at a target without shooting until you get rid of the target panick.

Don't be fooled into thinking you can't shoot well with a triggered release, or without using back tension. All it requires is good follow through. No different than shooting a gun really.

Paul
Old 04-03-2008, 03:39 AM

shooting back tension is the cure for target panic. there is no way to punch a back tension release w/out making a conscious decision to do it. paul, sometimes i wonder if you really shoot back tension, with the things you say about it.

Quick Reply: Lets talk back tension....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.