Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Hoyt Katera....noisy? >

Hoyt Katera....noisy?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt Katera....noisy?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:27 PM

Default Hoyt Katera....noisy?

Anyone have any tips or solutions to make the bow quieter?

I am shooting one at 70# 29" with axis 340's and 100 grain tip, string leeches, vibracheck stabilizer

Granted its faster than my Q2, but it has quite a snap when shooting. Is it just the string slapping the rubber string suppressor?

I tried a full metal jacket also @ 470 grains, but still seems noisy. to be honest it didn't seem any quieter at all.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2008, 07:31 PM

Default RE: Hoyt Katera....noisy?

I would suspect the string supressor. Make sure the string is JUST touching it at brace, or even just a hair off of it. If it's pressing the supressor at brace, it will hit pretty hard.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

I've heard a few of them being shot, shot a couple myself never heard anything alarming. Check all your mounting hardware, bolt's, screws, etc. And most of all, have your cam timing checked.

Also, me and a friend both have 07 vectrix's, and after we added aftermarket strings and timed them properly, they becamenoticably quieter.

Never have been a fan of hoyt strings, they come off the bow before I ever fire a shot.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Katera shoots quiteas it is just like my drenalin... I know that string leeches can make it noisy since there string suppresors already make vibration almost non existant... try taking the silencers off in other words.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

I've heard a few of them being shot, shot a couple myself never heard anything alarming. Check all your mounting hardware, bolt's, screws, etc. And most of all, have your cam timing checked.

Also, me and a friend both have 07 vectrix's, and after we added aftermarket strings and timed them properly, they becamenoticably quieter.

Never have been a fan of hoyt strings, they come off the bow before I ever fire a shot.
I've not been a fan of the Fuse string either, until this year. They've apparently made serious improvements. Bought mine in November and since then have shot it......I don't know how many thousand shots. The peep hasn't moved at all. It's still perfectly square.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:11 AM

I'm not surprised,my Katera XL(Z3 cams)was noisier then I'd accept.First thing,I replaced the Fuse with Vapor Trails,then a set of cat whiskers,double thickness,and trimmed close(a little larger than a grape),then and most important,took off the string suppressor.The bow is quieter than my 07 Commander,with less shock,and it's faster.
By the way,I'm shooting---31" draw,64 lbs.,429 gr.Maxium Hunters @29",low 280's...Bob
Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

My Katera has not had any noise issues so far. The Z3 cams have worked like a champ. However my brothers Katera XL with the cam1/2 has had issues with the set screw on the cams for draw adjustment coming loose. Everything on his worked great until the bow shop tuned it and adjusted the draw length. After that, it was all problems with noise and loose parts. He ended up taking it to a more competent bow shop, and they re-tuned it and went over it good. It has been fine ever since. A good dealer can usually tell what the issues are, and correct them if neccesary.