HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   putting on a sight? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/238768-putting-sight.html)

drockw 03-23-2008 10:19 AM

putting on a sight?

I know this sounds like a newb question but i am afraid to screw something up. i ordered the extreme rt900 sight off of ebay today b/cthe guy who works on my bows only has it in camo andmy bow will be max 4 so i want it black,and i have no idea when it will be here. i want to go get my general monday just b/c i am anxious. is there any lining up process to putting on a sight or does it need to be installed by someone professional. trust me, if its just putting it on, taking it off i will be fine. but is there any tuning involved? thanks guys for the help. i feel like an impatient little kid, but hey, this feels like christmas for me lol!

popeandyoungchaser 03-23-2008 11:50 AM

RE: putting on a sight?

For the most part putting on a sight is simple. It can be put on before or after the rest is installed but i usually put it on after just because that is the order that I do it. The rest you have purchased bolts on with two allen screws. Go get your bow have them put the rest of your choice on and set it up for center shot and set your nock point. Then when your sight comes bolt it on and loosen the windage bolt so you can move the sight left and right. Holding the bow in the vertical position, line the string up with the center of where the arrow sits on your rest. I like to do this with an arrow nock so i can see exactly where the string cuts the arrow in half. When you have your string positioned behind the arrow move your sight left or right so that the dots of the pins are covered by the string. This will get you close but some fine adjustments will need to be made when you sight in.

TFOX 03-23-2008 12:13 PM

Just remember when dealing with flat head screws,that it doesn't take much torque to tighten the screws.If you overtighten them,they will lock up and be very hard to remove if you need to.

Also,don't tighten 1 all the way down without making sure both are aligned first.Just barely snug one,then the other 1and then tighten both.

popeandyoungchaser 03-23-2008 12:29 PM

Good addition TFOX!!! I did that once was a real @#$%&!!!!

ranger56528 03-23-2008 12:38 PM

I have the RT900 and RT1000 and they are easy to put on and site..When you put the 900 on just shoot at a bag/block target at about 10 yards with your top pinthis will let you know your horizonal impact and adjust that left or right,then at 10 yards adjust your vertical.On mine the pin holding bar sits about a 1/8th-3/16 above my main site backet then adjust the individual pins from there....
shooting my 20yard pin at 10 yrds hit about 3-4" high...then I went and shot 20yrds and adjusted from there......20-30-40-50...and 60 with my RT1000....
it ony took 24 arrows to get all 5 pins sighted in on the RT1000.....

drockw 03-23-2008 03:11 PM

awesome. i was hoping it would be easy and i could do it myself. now i can get my bow tomorrow and put it on whenever it gets here. thanks guys