HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Insert removal question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/238344-insert-removal-question.html)

Madjac20 03-20-2008 05:04 PM

Insert removal question

The arrows I currently shoot are Carbon Express Terminator Lites (4560's). They're 29" long and I want to cut them down to 27 1/2" long (my draw length is 28" and I shoot thru a whisker biscuit). I've already cut down some of my arrows to 27 1/2" from the nock end when I had to refletch. I was wondering if I willdo any damage to a carbon arrow by removing the insert using a method Iread abouton this site. Put a piece of carbide (a 7/32" drill bit works great) inside the shaft and "whip it" towards the insert end thus driving out the insert. I've donethis with some arrows that were un-shootable and it works great. I've got some arrows that won't need refletching any time soonand would like to get them all down to 27 1/2".
Any, and allopinions are welcome.
Thanks,
Madjac

TexasBowHunter 03-20-2008 05:31 PM

RE: Insert removal question

I read that thread, I have removed them several times but not like anyone said in that thread. I will put a field point in about halfway and heat the field point till the nock starts to move, "Dont use your hands" I always use a pair of pliers and hand held torch. The other guys have talked about damaging the shaft, I have never done that personally but I have always been real careful not to overheat. If you have already tried the other method with the drill bit and it worked, why wouldn't you do the rest of them that way, IMO you wont have any problems with the shaft that way. If your trying to not refletch your shafts either option will work.

bigbulls 03-20-2008 05:36 PM

Carbon express inserts are short enough that you can just cut the arrow. You could cut themas long as28-1/8 and still miss the insert.

MeanV2 03-20-2008 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Carbon express inserts are short enough that you can just cut the arrow. You could cut themas long as28-1/8 and still miss the insert.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Definitely the easiest, safest fix.

Dan

nodog 03-21-2008 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Madjac20

Put a piece of carbide (a 7/32" drill bit works great) Thanks,
Madjac
I do it that way, but a bit may not be a good choice since it's sharp. A brass rod from the local hardware store would be good.

Cutting them is best if you can. Fool around with some bad one's and see what else works. Heats good just wet a paper towel and stick it to the shaft to keep it from heating up and you won't hurt the bond of the carbon.

Ed McDonald 03-23-2008 07:01 PM

I have used a screw with the same threading as a target tip . Clamp the head in a vice and screw the on the arrow with insert a couple turns then heat the screw with a Bernzomatic Torch and pull .........