Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 proper anchor point >

proper anchor point

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

proper anchor point

Old 03-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: proper anchor point

I am still very skeptical about "Perfect" or "Proper" draw length??

In my opinion, shoot what feels the most comfortable too you? I would think in my mind that if you shoot comfortable you will shoot better? I know the pros will jump down my throat for saying this, but it is just my OPINION!

If you can shoot comfortablyand learn a distinct anchorI would say that is proper form.It can be something as small as where your thumb knuckle is everytime, or where your pointer finger touches your face??? Atleast for me anyhow??
Old 03-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

In my opinion, shoot what feels the most comfortable too you? I would think in my mind that if you shoot comfortable you will shoot better? I know the pros will jump down my throat for saying this, but it is just my OPINION!

If you can shoot comfortablyand learn a distinct anchorI would say that is proper form.It can be something as small as where your thumb knuckle is everytime, or where your pointer finger touches your face??? Atleast for me anyhow??

That is what pros do BUT they work within a certain set of parameters.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Ok so I am on the right path then?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 PM

heres a pik of me...
i know what yall are thinkin."this kids form is all messed up"

well it probly is thats why i put it on here,,

howeveri feel very comfortable with my draw and form...

Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Ok so I am on the right path then?
Yes.

We must also remember that pros practice ALOT and anything that is practiced alot can become comfortable and repeatable TO A POINT.

The problem is that most of us are not pros and don't have that kind of time to dedicate to it.There are parameters that the pro and average guy alike can use to be their best.

Standing up straight and getting proper bone to bone contact are just a couple.You won't find many pros if any leaning back when shooting on level groud(unless we are talking long distance shooting of 90 meters or the like)AND they are usuallydistance specific with their setup.

Having great anchor points of reference is another but not all use the same ones.

Draw lengths will vary from shooter to shooter,even if they were to have the exact same body measurements.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ONESHOT_BRANDON

heres a pik of me...
i know what yall are thinkin."this kids form is all messed up"

well it probly is thats why i put it on here,,

howeveri feel very comfortable with my draw and form...

As far as anchor point and DL you are good to go.

I'll give you the same advice that I was given when my form looked similar to yours. You might want to rotate your left elbow out go with a more neutral grip. (After work i cna post a pic ofthe grip I'm refering to.) Your thumb should be along the riser so you can not wrap your thumb around the front. I used to grip my bow the same way and many people still do. I shot well enough that way. however, it can cause you to torque the bow once in a while. Try not to lean back in your stance. But it's definitely not "not all messed up".

What type of release is that? You might want to look into one with a shorter jaw and barrel so that your hand is further forward. I've found that the right release makes a world of difference.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stand up straight,use a mirror for help with this because will feel like you are leaning forward at first.

I really don't like to tell somone to rotate their elbow out because that really isn't correct,you should rotate the wrist and forearm without rotating the elbow.If the elbow points out,that creates angles and tension that is hard to repeat.AND,your grip could still be wrong.

Your short bow just makes it harder to get solid anchors with.You are doing a pretty good job with the anchors though,just has you bending into the string.Which I am not a fan of.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 PM

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS..I WILL TRY TO IMPROVE ON MY FORM AS BEST AS I CAN...THANX..

THE RELEASE I HAVE IS A CHEAPO FOR LIKE 15 BUCKS HOWEVER I AM VERY COMFORTABLE WITH IT JUST BECAUSE IT ISNT "HAIR TRIGGER"