Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

slow down?

Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 AM

Default slow down?

ok boys i have a bit of a delimma that ihope yall can help with...
before i went with the carbon arrows i was shooting below 250 fps and after streamlining my string and going to a lighter arrow i'm shooting 273 fps.but my broadheads(steelforce) are going all over the place... like im shooting screwballs... went with a heavy heicle and helped some but still not like before at slower speeds.... so im thinking of going back to the slower speed... so that means i will have to re stock on a lot of equipement.... unless i can get some helpful input from you guys...
Old 03-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: slow down?

Can you provide us with more info that may help us to try and help you ...as to

What poundage are you shooting?
What Draw Length are you shooting?
What Shaft Length are you shooting?
What Arrow and What Spine Carbon are you shooting?
What Point and Broadhead weight are you shooting?
What Bow are you shooting?
What Rest are you using?
Have you spin tested your arrows with the Broadheads on them?
What is the FOC on your arrow ?
Have you paper tuned the bow with feild points and with Broadheads?
Can you post any pic's of your bow setup?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:47 AM

Did things change when you switched arrows, or when you sped up the bow? Simply speeding up the bow normally doesn't cause that much trouble, especially at the speeds you are talking about, but it could change the spine of the arrow required. However changing arrows, messing with the weight on the string and that sort of stuff will profoundly mess with how things work.

There is whole list of things that could be wrong now. Did you re tune the bow? Are your arrows good? Are they the correct spine for your bow? You can't just slap new arrows on and expect everything to work perfect. Especially when going from aluminums to carbons. You said you are shooting a helical fletch, are you sure you are not getting fetching contact? Even with a drop away you can have fletching contact, they need to be checked and set up properly.

We would need to know a lot more information before we could even start guessing what your problem is.

Paul
Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 AM

im shooting gold tip xt at 29.5 inches long with a pull of 29"..63lbs.. using steelforce premium at 100 grains...tko drop rest andbear trx 36 inch bow..before the speed increse everything was just wonderful then i changed arrows and took off the d loop and thats when things sort of fell apart as far as the broadhead flight goes... i like the speed but not the screwball effect... with a more pronounced helical its improved but still not like it used to be... there is not constant grouping ...its like their floating .... i use the 5575 but have purchased a half dozen 7595s and it helped some but not like i like... i hit within two inches of my field tips but again not in a consistant group...
thanks "guys" for taking the time to help
Old 03-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

We can assume but I'll ask anyway, did you retune the bow to the new arrows?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

FOC, Spine, properly built arrows, and correctly installed inserts. Lots of things go into building a great hunting arrow. Give the info asked for above and everyone will chip in some advice. You should be able to shoot the faster speeds without a problem if everything is as should be.

Dan
Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may be getting nock pinch without a d-loop.Did you install eliminator buttons?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:53 AM

the bow was tuned and checked at the bow shop.... what other info do you need
thanks again for the effort
Old 03-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wyliescrib

the bow was tuned and checked at the bow shop.... what other info do you need
thanks again for the effort
Answer Lady Forge's questions. That's a good start.

Dan
Old 03-09-2008, 06:13 PM

im shooting gold tip xt at 29.5 inches long with a pull of 29"..63lbs.. using steelforce premium at 100 grains...tko drop rest andbear trx 36 inch bow..before the speed increse everything was just wonderful then i changed arrows and took off the d loop and thats when things sort of fell apart as far as the broadhead flight goes... i like the speed but not the screwball effect... with a more pronounced helical its improved but still not like it used to be... there is not constant grouping ...its like their floating .... i use the 5575 but have purchased a half dozen 7595s and it helped some but not like i like... i hit within two inches of my field tips but again not in a consistant group...
thanks "guys" for taking the time to help
if you need more please let me know

Quick Reply: slow down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.