Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 limbs problem/ tiller >

limbs problem/ tiller

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

limbs problem/ tiller

Old 03-03-2008, 07:13 PM

Default limbs problem/ tiller

i was going to adjust my tiller on my bow and i relized that the limbs were not seated in the socket. i guess the bow shop backed out the bots to lower the poundage and they vibrated out of the socket. so was should i do now i can pull back more now that i have goten stronger so should i just take it to the shop and have it adjusted and increse my draw weight? thanks for any help.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: limbs problem/ tiller

I think you should experiment and see for yourself. There is a limit to how far you can turn them out so find that out first. To start out I'd crank them all the way down and turn them back equally 2 turns, play around from there.

Think of the bow in a box shape. You can square a box up by pulling on opposit corners, cranking the bolts on a bow is like that. If it's square when you pull the string back the nock will travel straight through, if not it will travel at an angle causing you to compensate in some way to make up for it. Most bows, not allthese days are very square so the bolts should be turned an equal distance from thightened, out.If not something is off, most likely the rest/nock alignment. Some bows require the bolts to be different.

Before you start record where they are now so you can go back if you get into trouble. Always remember where you are and have gone. Take pictures, record. or and write things down. You'll be just fine.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you should experiment and see for yourself. There is a limit to how far you can turn them out so find that out first.
Be careful about how you find that out. On most bows, if you back the limb bolts out too much the limbs are still under a good bit of tension when the bolt clears the hole. Won't hurt you, very much anyway, when the limb jumps off the riser, but it will cause you to soil yourself and you have to have a bow press to put the bow back together. Call the customer service dept at the manufacturer and ask how much the bolts can be backed out. I suspect they're already too far if the limbs have come unseated.

To be honest, I'd recommend you take the bow to the shop and let the tech reseat the limbs in the pockets.Closely watchevery thing he does. Once you've seen it done, you have a good idea of how to take care of the problem yourself if you ever run across the same situation again.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

To be honest, I'd recommend you take the bow to the shop and let the tech reseat the limbs in the pockets.Closely watchevery thing he does. Once you've seen it done, you have a good idea of how to take care of the problem yourself if you ever run across the same situation again.
Do you really think people these days can't turn a bolt themselves.

I'd believe ya if you said yes, pretty sad. lol
Old 03-04-2008, 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: nodog

There may be more to seating the limb than just turning the bolts down all the way. There are buffers and shims in some of the limb pockets, especially those that allow the limb to float within the pocket as I suspect these are. I saw some HCA bows years ago that this happened to a lot. It took fully unloading the limb to get it back in place without damaging the finish.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: nodog

There may be more to seating the limb than just turning the bolts down all the way. There are buffers and shims in some of the limb pockets, especially those that allow the limb to float within the pocket as I suspect these are. I saw some HCA bows years ago that this happened to a lot. It took fully unloading the limb to get it back in place without damaging the finish.
Hmmm good to know.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 AM

ya i have a high country bow so i will take it to the shop and they can make the right adjustments. thanks for all your help!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 PM

i took it to Bass Pro and they siad that the bow shop that set up my bow was way off and they did a horiable job. Bass Pro set my limbs right and fixed it all the little problems. there are great and it was for free!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: countryboy17

i took it to Bass Pro and they siad that the bow shop that set up my bow was way off and they did a horiable job. Bass Pro set my limbs right and fixed it all the little problems. there are great and it was for free!
That's great, but you now see why doing it yourself has it's advantages.

I still think you should have did it yourself. Free's good, you did spend a lot of time with a poorly set up bow and the timeto take care of it. Takes time to get out of a bow all it has to give, I doubt a great deal of people will put that into someone elses rig. Takes me weeks.

I fix most everything I own. Wifes van had problems, went to the dealer to get the parts not knowing what I needed the big cheese tech there said I needed something rediculous, I didn't. The ignition switch (the whole assembly) was bad, he said I needed a new column. All these years of fixing things told me he was full of it the second he said it. A friends son inlaw is a parts guy at another dealer ship. Just by chance I'd called the wrong number when trying to reach the dealer and found him there. He printed out the parts break down and I had the right part the next day. Funny how things work out.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

While I agree that it's best to know how to fix and maintain your own bow, you can often make a problem worse if you don't know what you're doing.Compounds ain't rocket science but they do take some knowledge.So, you got your bow fixed and you've seen how it was done. Now you've got a good start on your maintenance education.

I very rarely let anyone work on my bows. It only happens when the work needs a full size press, which I don't have. My problem is, the only shops I used to trust are out of business now. [&o]

Quick Reply: limbs problem/ tiller

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.