Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 STS VERTICAL LOCATION >

STS VERTICAL LOCATION

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

STS VERTICAL LOCATION

Old 03-04-2008, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: STS VERTICAL LOCATION

The STS is right against the string. I think it works better because the arrow does not come off the string until the string is in it's most forward position with maximum energy transfer. Think of it like someone hitting a QB's arm before the follow through. If the arm is hit right at the middle of his throwing motion the ball comes out slower than it would at a typical release point. However, that does not explain why it is slower without the STS. Unless there is a sweet spot like qzq38b stated.

I'm going to run some more tests this weekend and will post the results with chrony pictures.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I've watched Len at MacRotech prove to people how these STS type surpressors can screw up your bow tune. Not only is location a factor but also how hard the string hits. I believe in the past he made his thoughts on these things known on the board but it wasn't well received so now he just stays out of it and lets everyone figure it out for themselves if they're not one of his customers. It's throwing your bow out of tune, just like your quarterbacks arm. After watching Len play with these things I've never felt the urge to have one. They're an expensive gimmick that can only cause trouble. My Darton and Guardian are quiet enough without it.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to be one of the people that thought that a STS was a gimmick and a waste of money until I tried one. Part of that was probably from talking to Len.

Like a rest you have to adjust it properly to function correctly.

Furthermore, youcan take any piece of equipment and mount it improperly on a bow and make people believe that it is not a good product.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 AM

I found putting an sts on my bow to be one of the most postive peices of equipment I have ever spent money on I found no speed loss.Just qweited the bow down and lost all hand shock in turn I shoot better.But maybe this is not the case with all bows but a bow is a bow and are all basicly the same.I guess for me any bow I buy from now on will get an sts I can t see how it could cause any negative effects since the arrow should have left the string by the time it starts to do its job.Would be nice to see some high speed film of one must be somwhere out there. thanks David
Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have some video from my bow as well as a friend's. You can see what the string does and the impact on the STS. Unfortunately, unless you go frame by frame everything is still happening fast. There must be a trick to it with a slow motion camcorder like I have. I've seen video on there of a person firing a glock and you can see the slide moving slowly as well as the bullet. I need to figure out how people slow stuff down that much with the same camcorder I own. If i figure it out I'll post a link to it.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I believe what Len said was that he didn't like them as the average Joe just throws them on and thinks it's going to work some miracle when in fact, if he doesn't know what he's doing he screws up his tune. He didn't intentionally mess them up to discredit, but to show how a small adjustment in the wrong directions will hurt. I think you proved what he said.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

My tests proved that STS position may impact speed, not tuning. Nothing was hurtregarding tuningand tuning was never an issue.

My bowbecomes more efficient with the STS either in a neutral position or the lowest position. This fascinated me so I created this thread to discuss if anyone else has encountered similar results.

For the average Joe the tuning will not be affected if the STS is placed either slightly touching or slightly off the string no matter what the vertical position. The only way you could truly impact tuning would be if you had the STS pushing out on the string with the string at rest whichmight not allow the cam/wheel to rotate back to the rest position properly.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Sorrt guys I read it wrong went back and looked.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:14 PM

All this being said why doesn't someone post the proper way to install an STS
Old 03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: String Burn

All this being said why doesn't someone post the proper way to install an STS
LOL!!, that's funny bud

I agree, if it's such a finicky device, why isn't there more posted on the proper installation. All I've ever seen discussed was the horizontal adjustment, some say touch the string and some say leave a knat's ass between the stopper and string but I can't recall the verticalpositioning ever being brought up.

Quick Reply: STS VERTICAL LOCATION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.