Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 My Form, Part II >

My Form, Part II

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My Form, Part II

Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Form, Part II

A couple weeks ago I had you guys look at my form, and you guys gave me a few suggestions. So...I've tried implementing those suggestions and I'm curious how my form looks now.

Thanks,
Steven

Old 02-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Form, Part II

A upper-body close-up.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bow arm looks to be locked out, grip doesn't look too bad, maybe a little tight, drawlength looks good, but if you arm is locked out, when you relax it a bit, you may end up being about 1/2" too long. Now, where's TFOX and Paul for the real hashing over.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like it,especially for spots.It does LOOK like the hips are pushed slightly forward.

I believe you are very close and should just shoot to see how it feels.Ialso believe there are things to play with,like the arm.Maybe trying to relax it a bit more or trying to shorten the draw a 1/4".Not saying that those things NEED to be changed but they are things to play with and see what kind of results you get.

Are your fingers gripping the front of the bow?If they are,try to relax them and let them just hang there.

1 thing that does need to be changed is the wrist strap.It needs to be loosened up,itappears way too tight.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 AM
bigcountry

Besides leaning back a little, that looks good. I prefer to have a better anchor under my jaw.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM

One of the better I have seen for sure. My only concerns are the ones already mentioned. Your bow arm almost looks hyper extended, might just be you though? You look pretty muscular and that could be decieving in the picture. And I agree it looks like your fingers are pressing into the front of the riser. If they are try to loosen them up and just them lay where they fall. It will probably take a conscious effort until you get used to it. Set up a shooting sequence where you talk to yourself in your head ( or out loud if you want). Mentally go through each step of the process as you do it, and after youdraw add " Relax my grip" to it. If you do it enough it will become subconscious and you won't even think about drawing anymore.

I really like how your upper body is really straight with your head straight up with good solid anchors.

Another thing I might suggest is working on your stance and how you adress the target. Stand how you normally would, look at the target, close your eyes and then draw the bow picturing in your mind that the bow is aimed right at the target. Then open your eyes and see where the bow is really pointed. If you are to the left or right of the target then move your feet until you can do this and you line up with the target when your eyes are close. It will change your stance a little, but once you get used to it itwill be much more comfortable and easier to aim and stay on target.

I was pretty skepticle until I tried it.

Paul
Old 02-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I also noticed that I seemed to be leaning back a little and my bow arm looks a little over extended. I don't think it is really as bad as it looks in the pic, but it is more than I want none-the-less. I talked with a guy last night and he had me square up my toes to the target which opened my chest more, giving me a little more room with my arm....I think it worked well and I think it corrected my leaning problem as well.

Something else he did, although it really won't show up in a pic is he had me rotate my release hand up a little. This gave me a better anchor into my jaw...but more importantly gave me a better angle to move my shoulder allowing me to use back tension.

I took notice of my grip last night and I think I was pressing with my fingers a little more than I should have been...not a lot...but a little. I'll keep working on that.

I loosened up my wrist strap as well.

Thanks for your input...if you have any more, I'm all ears.

Steven
Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

You're right thumb should be pointing straight down.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I don't know if mine is pointing straight down or not, but I have it where the spot between the knuckles of my pointer and middle fingers in very solidly anchored around the bump at the back of my lower jaw. By doing this, I can squeeze my rhomboids and lats together...thus back tension! When I had my hand flat, I wasn't able to squeeze my shoulders far enough together to get the release to trigger.

I'm still learning....thanks for all your help!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: PA Bow/Flinter

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I don't know if mine is pointing straight down or not,

I'm still learning....thanks for all your help!
It's not, your thumb is under your jaw bone. I don't know if you can see my thumb on my avitar. If you can't release with your thumb down, then something is wrong. If you're shooting a back tension, your actully having to move your wrist in order to release.. But heck, if it works for you, then go for it.. Just tossing in what I see in your picture.

Quick Reply: My Form, Part II

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.