Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 My Form, Part II >

My Form, Part II

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My Form, Part II

Old 02-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Form, Part II

ORIGINAL: The Rev

ORIGINAL: PA Bow/Flinter

ORIGINAL: The Rev

You're right thumb should be pointing straight down.
I don't know if mine is pointing straight down or not,

I'm still learning....thanks for all your help!
It's not, your thumb is under your jaw bone. I don't know if you can see my thumb on my avitar. If you can't release with your thumb down, then something is wrong. If you're shooting a back tension, your actully having to move your wrist in order to release.. But heck, if it works for you, then go for it.. Just tossing in what I see in your picture.
Sorry, I was unclear in what I said before. In the pic my hand is flat and I couldn't shoot with back tension. The day after that pic was taken, I had a guy help me....that is when I squared my toes and rotated my hand to where my knuckles came into contact with my jaw bone. I don't have a pic of that...when I shoot next I'll get another pic.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rotating the release hand over is better but you aren't looking for perfectly vertical.I believe you have someone helping that has some knowledge,that is always better than pictures on the internet.

This is considered correct by most.

You really don't appear to be leaning back to me,you just have your hips pushed forward,there is a difference.Leaning back would mean your shoulders would not be directly over your feet but yours are.Your hips are just slightly pushed forward.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX: That picture looks pretty close to what I believe my hand position is like now. I'll get a picture next time I shoot.

Do you have any idea why I have my hips pushed forward or any way to correct it? Or is it just something I need to conscienciously think about for a while?

Thanks for you help!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bad habit probably developed at some point being over bowed,either in poundage or draw length.That doesn't mean that is what is going on NOW,but probably what started it.

You will have to use a mirror(full length) to watch yourself in, to get immediate feedback to see when you are doing it.It will feel like you are leaning forward for a while,untill you get used to it.Atleast that is how I did it.

For spots,I doubt it would ever be a problem but step outside and shoot from an elevated position or even uphill and it becomes a problem imo.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

get someone to run a video camera from all angles. You'll quit guessing.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Bad habit probably developed at some point being over bowed,either in poundage or draw length.That doesn't mean that is what is going on NOW,but probably what started it.

You will have to use a mirror(full length) to watch yourself in, to get immediate feedback to see when you are doing it.It will feel like you are leaning forward for a while,untill you get used to it.Atleast that is how I did it.

For spots,I doubt it would ever be a problem but step outside and shoot from an elevated position or even uphill and it becomes a problem imo.
When I was originally set up for my bow, my DL was set at 29". I shot it for about 3 years and then when I came up to school, I started to really work on my form and discovered I should be shooting a DL much closer to 28". I definitely was leaning back then, so that is probably the cause of it. I guess I just need to pay more attention to it and mentally make myself stand straight.

My coach video'd me shooting once and that really helped to watch it. Now that my form is much closer to where it should be, I think I'll have him do it again so I can work on all these little things you guys are talking about.

Once again, thanks for everyones help!
Steven