HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   arrow weight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/234674-arrow-weight.html)

millerhunter13 02-26-2008 04:13 PM

arrow weight

my new bow i am getting is going to be around 50-55 pounds, its is a 25 inch DL i might have it switched to 24, my arrows from the begining of the nock to the end of the arrow is 24 and a quarter inch, and i am shooting a 125 grain head and 3 blazers and H-nocks which are 9 grains, they are easton st epics, 500 spined and are 7.5 GPI. Also will these arrows work with my 25 inch DL i have?
thanks
mike

glockman55 02-26-2008 08:07 PM

RE: arrow weight

Are you asking what your arrows will weigh? I guess in the 350's gr.
They might be a little short, depends on what rest and how far back it's mounted. All you can do is draw one back and see.

Roskoe 02-26-2008 08:22 PM

They are actually about right for a 28" length. And at 25", are a little on the stiff side. But better than being on the soft side. And I don't think they make a 600 series arrow. So better leave them longer than necessary - like around 27". And maybe even run a 125 grain head if bare shaft tuning indicates a stiff spine reaction (angle left).

AZHuntr 02-26-2008 10:45 PM

I have similar problems because I have such a short draw length (26") I just switched to 250 CX Maximas and love them so far but Roskoe is correct better to be stiff thanweak I am shooting my ideal spine of 0.415" now with the Maximas but have been overspined for a few months with Vapor 5000 arrows at 0.300" However they still flew good. I think you will be fine with your draw weight I am shooting 70-80# bow and the 250 's I have now are good to go for my range.

millerhunter13 02-27-2008 01:14 PM

i am shooting a WB rest, so roskoe your saying that my arrows are alittle stiff, are they too stiff or just alittle? and are they ok to shoot, if they dont work with my new bow how long should they be cut?

sngehl01 02-27-2008 02:12 PM

You can't really cut arrows longer ;), you have to buy new ones.

You can shoot a stiff spined arrow. A lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference out of their bows. I wouldn't recommend shooting a weak spined arrow (nor a stiff spined one for that matter) but if I had to choose between shooting the two, I'd rather shoot a stiff spined arrow. If you can tune it pretty good and shoot it accurately and feel confident you can place a good shot on a deer there is nothing wrong with shootingthem. If you have problems grouping them or getting them to shoot good then I would recommend buying some new, properly spined and cut to length arrows.

Also make sure you have good arrow clearance at full draw and that it's safe to shoot the broadheads on that short of an arrow.

millerhunter13 02-27-2008 02:58 PM

i havnt got my new bow yet so i will have to check these things out, but what would i have to do to get the proper spine for my arrows? would they have to be longer?

PITBULL2888 02-27-2008 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: sngehl01

Also make sure you have good arrow clearance at full draw and that it's safe to shoot the broadheads on that short of an arrow.
how far in front of your rest does your arrow shaft need to be?

sngehl01 02-27-2008 03:33 PM

I likefor broadheads to have the whole broadhead in front of the riser,I really don't care when it comes to field points.

millerhunter13 02-27-2008 05:17 PM

ok, i decided to just buy new arrows, i like the arrow brand i am shooting, so what do i need to do to get the right spine for my DL and DW?