Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Set up for daughter's bow. >

Set up for daughter's bow.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Set up for daughter's bow.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Default Set up for daughter's bow.

I bought my 10 year olddaughter her first bow this weekend, a Browning Micro Midas 3. The only included accessory was sights. I definitely want to upgrade the arrow rest, probably toa Whisker Biscuit, but I don't know if string silencers are necessary yet, and if it is a good idea to start her with a release. She has shot a bow before, a $20 Wal-Mart special, but this will be her first real bow, and I want her to really enjoy it and be able to shoot it well. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:21 PM

Default RE: Set up for daughter's bow.

if i was you i would start her with a release that way she is comfotable shooting with it as she gets older. plus you dont want to hurt those fingers and discurage her from the great sport. and for the whisker buscit thats must for youth that way the arrow will never fall off. as for the string silencers its not nesucary unless shes going to be using bow for hunting. but if just for target practice its not needed
Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Set up for daughter's bow.

The first "real bow" my youngest son got was a Browning Micro Midas, too. It is a great little bow. He was in 5th grade, so I guess that means he was 10 also. We put a regular "flipper rest" on it, and it served him well. String silencers - not a necessity at all.

I made it a point to have all 3 of my sons shoot for a full year with fingers and no peep sight. I wanted them to learn and master the basic mechanics of concentration, establishing and holding a solid foundation, and the use of consistent anchor points and body position. They did. So based on their experience and the accomplishments they have achieved since then, I believe it was wise to start them off without a release and without much dependence on sights.