Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Africa Set-Up Question >

Africa Set-Up Question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Africa Set-Up Question

Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM

Default Africa Set-Up Question

I am going to South Africa in July and in talking to the outfitter I am a little concerned about my set-up. He said the requirements are as follows:

Small Game (up to Blesbuck and Impala): 400 gr. total arrow weight.

Medium Game (up to Eland and Giraffe): 550 gr. 70 lb. pull.

Problem is I have a 28" draw and normally shoot Maxima 250's and 85 gr. Montecs. I am not sure how to get my arrows up to 550 gr. Does anyone have any advice?

Main bow is 82nd Airborne, 28", 71 lbs. Backup bow is 101st Airborne, 28", 71 lbs.

Thanks,
Don
Old 02-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Africa Set-Up Question

You can up the weight by putting in weighted points,or brass inserts BUT that will require a heavier spined arrow.

I would suggest getting a ballistics program like On Target 2 or Archers Advantage that will help you build the arrows you will need and maintain a good dynamic spine.

In short,you are going to need new arrows most likely.

70# minimum weight is ludicrous,I can pull a round wheel bow and shoot the heavy arrows and be legal but that wouldn't have near the penetration as a hard cam at 60 or 65 shooting the same arrow.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buy heavier arrows and broadheads.

There are a bunch of heavy carbons on the market. Getting to 550 grains should be a piece of cake.

With shooting either of the airbornsI would be shooting a stiffer arrow than the maxima 250's any way.

Just one quick example off the top of my head are Easton full metal jackets 300 spine with a 125 grain head gets you to about 500+ grains or so. Use an even heavier broadhead like a 200 grain razorcap to get better FOC and a heavier overallarrow and you are instantly up to 575 grains or so.

70# minimum weight is ludicrous,I can pull a round wheel bow and shoot the heavy arrows and be legal but that wouldn't have near the penetration as a hard cam at 60 or 65 shooting the same arrow.
I agree 100%. The 82nd will fling an arrow faster than a 90 pound round wheel bow like the PSE big5. I guess they are just assuming general peoples averages.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the input Bigbulls. I think I will go ahead and make an order for the arrows and start looking for the right BH over the next few months.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

200 grain arrows will really lower the dynamic spine so there isn't a chart around that will get you close to the right spined arrow for your setup,you will need to go REALLY stiff.That is why I recommend going with a ballistic program.That will save you some headache and will help with the penetration when the time comes.

They are only about 60 bucks.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:19 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Are those his requirements? I know there are requirements for dangerous game but unless things have changed in the past few years there aren't govenment requirementsfor plains game? Those may just be his recommendations. You won't be unhappy with the FMJ. Great arrow.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 PM

Not sure if they are his rules or gov't rules...either way, he is the boss in the bush...
Old 02-13-2008, 01:10 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Tis true. I know they prefer heavy arrows over there, wasn't a problem when I went as I've always been a fan of them myself. May have to do with shot selection in Africa as well. I was told by my PH to forget about the crease that the Americans love to shoot for, hit them on the shoulder. He was adamant about this. The vitals on a lot of their critters set a little farther ahead than on a whitetail. Ask him about shot position when you talk to him. They wanted me and my brother aiming for bone.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

You could try weight tubes.
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/prodweighttubes.html
Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 PM

Ok, I purchased the Archer's Advantage software (figures the 101st and 82nd are not listed), ordered 300 Axis FMJ's, a pack of 180 gr. Silver Flames and 200 gr. Razor Caps...the cash register just keeps ringing for this trip...

Anyway I will toy with these arrow/point combinationsout ofmy 82nd and 101st and see what happens...

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Don

Quick Reply: Africa Set-Up Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.