HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   did i set my nock point okay? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/231322-did-i-set-my-nock-point-okay.html)

the kidd 02-07-2008 08:11 PM

did i set my nock point okay?

well i did lots of reading and i wanted to know if it paid off..let me know what i did wrong or right...thanks

TFOX 02-07-2008 08:48 PM

RE: did i set my nock point okay?

Move the nock above the arrow and you should be pretty close.

You may want to start tying your nocks instead of brass ones.

GregMo has an instructional thread pasted at the top.;)

the kidd 02-07-2008 08:57 PM

ok i know you know more than me tfow but i just wanna know why i should do this ....so i move the top part of the loop up alittle to accomodate the brass nock rite?but after i do that should i also move the bottom part of the loop up also to be flush with the line by the 0 ..am i correct?

TFOX 02-07-2008 10:09 PM

NO,just move the brass nock,not the loop,it looks like it is close.

You will move the arrow down through the center of the berger hole to just a little on the low side of it which is perfect.

the kidd 02-07-2008 10:20 PM

i thought the arrow was supposed to be at a SLIGHT DOWNWARD ANGLE BUT I GUESS IT HAS TO BE STRAIGHT AT 90 DEGREES IS THAT WHAT YOUR TELLIN ME....SO OKAY JUST MOVE THAT BRASS NOCK UP GOT IT THANKS TFOX

TFOX 02-07-2008 10:24 PM

That depends on the nock travel.I start square because most of todays bows have fairly level nock travel.That for a release,if you shoot fingers,the nock will be high.

the kidd 02-07-2008 10:26 PM

OK SO TRY TO PUT IT AS CLOSE TO 90 AS POSSIBLE..GOT IT THANKS AGAIN TFOX YOU ARE VERY HELPFUL

Paul L Mohr 02-08-2008 06:40 AM

I don't even use a brass nock, I just use the loop. In my opinion it sort of defeats the purpose of the string loop if you are going to use a brass nock anyway. And I agree with Tfox, if you are going to use one, put it above not below.

Your starting nock point is just a reference anyway, you don't need to agonize over it. Most people start at level to 1/8 of an inch high for a start. And you have to know where the middle of your arrow will be when the rest is in the full up position.

Once you start tuning you will probably have to adjust it anyway (which is why I don't mess with the brass nock, and the weight). My bowtech ended up being pretty nock high, you can even see it at full draw. However it tunes just fine so I don't worry about it. My darton with the CPS cams was dead on 90 degrees with a loop and release.

I'm probably not the norm of most people. I started out being really technical and using all the real cool gizmos and agonizing about my initial set up. After a few years of doing it though I just eye ball most of it now since I know I will be going to tune it and adjust it anyway.

In my opinion initial set up and paper tuning is only verifying that something is not way off from the get go so your actual tuning process will go smoother.

The important thing is to not go nock low, that can be a pain in the butt to correct because it can show up as other things while tuning.

I have also found a lot of times when I set up a drop a way it ends up being a bit nock high compared to the same arrow and bow with a prong or spring rest.

My opinions anyway.

Paul

Paul L Mohr 02-08-2008 06:46 AM

Oh, and I just looked at that picture again and you have the brass nock set up so it is right on with the centerline of your arrow. That leaves no room for the thickness of your nock. When you actually nock an arrow it will end up being nock high, how much will depend on how big around your nocks are. Do you understand what I am describing?

It would be easy to show you, but it's sort of hard to explain.

I would also lower the centerline of my arrow, unless you have to have it that high for clearance issues. Not that it will not work way, I just set mine up a bit lower is all.

Paul

the kidd 02-08-2008 04:39 PM

sorry im not comprehending what you said paul