HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Hunting Eastern Montana (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/229625-hunting-eastern-montana.html)

121553 01-28-2008 09:35 PM

Hunting Eastern Montana

While hunting in eastern Montana last year I meet this hunter out in the bush and we sat down and had our lunch together. While exchanging hunting stories I asked him about his set up, his vanes in purticular. They were only two inches in length. I asked him why he chose 2" vanes and he said with the winds and changing condition from snow to rain that there was less effect on the arrow and it didn't effect his accuracy as he shoots out to 70 yrds with the aid of a range finder. He used graphite arrows and a 90 grain broadhead.He also told me it also increased his fps which makes since.
I am thinking about trying this set up and wondered if any of you all may know any pro's or con's in going to a 2" vane? I was really impressed as this guy was a hard core bow elk hunter.
Thanks.

Bobby

salukipv1 01-29-2008 12:15 AM

RE: Hunting Eastern Montana

The quickspin st, is what I use, the archery pro shop I goto, basically tells me what they've learned over the years and I listen, the are designed to shoot as accurately as a 4" vane, and my understand is that a smaller vane won't catch air/wind as a larger 4" would, kidna like a bigger sail catching more wind.

Cougar Mag 01-29-2008 03:02 AM

Could also be a Bohning Blazer vane...very popular.

midwestxpress 01-29-2008 11:32 AM

If your using a mechanical broadhead by all means use them. They work great. I can't tell you how a 2in. vane handles a fixed head, I've never tried it.

drenal 01-29-2008 05:23 PM

i shoot2 inch blazer vanes with fixed heads and the fly awosome

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-29-2008 06:09 PM

Could be that he was shooting 2" Blazers. The higher profile makes them very effective. I have several broadheads grouping with field points.

You can get away with lesser fletch with some mechanicals with proper tuning. You should have picked his brain a little more. ;)

121553 01-29-2008 10:15 PM

I'm not too sure of the typevane he was using but he was using a fixed 90 grain broadhead.
I did get his phone number Rob and he just happens to live about 60 miles to the south of me here in western montana and he shoots year round at an archery shop that I frequent in kalispell.
It does make since about less effect during windy conditions. I've always been a die-hard 5'" fletching fan but since I have time to experment before season starts I'm going to cheque this set up out some more.
Thanks for the imput guys.

Bobby