Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Spot Hogg Sights >

Spot Hogg Sights

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Spot Hogg Sights

Old 01-27-2008, 10:31 PM

Default RE: Spot Hogg Sights

Check out the Spot Hogg website. They say if your bow is shooting over 260fps to get the small guard, under 260fps get the large guard. This is to give you enough room to set your pins for longer distance. Peep sights are cheap, once you get the sights installed get the proper size peep to just see the sight housing thru the peep.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was shooting over 300 fps out of my Allegiance and still used the large pin guard. I just prefer the extra field of view and the Larger pinguard filled my peep better. I shoot a 3/16" Meta peep

Dan
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 PM

I just bought the Hogg-It wrapped with the large guard and .019 pins on Dan's recomendation. Like you I was looking at the Real Deal and didn't see the advantages of the Hogg-It, but so many people recomended it over the Real Deal that I just said the heck with it. I figured that even if it wasn't any better that it couldn't be any worse. If you're already willing to spend $170 for a top of the line product what's another $40. Let me tell you this sight is absolutely awesome. If your just deer hunting it might seem overkill to have this kind of adjustability, but it's nice to have. My old tru-glo was so hard to adjust that I just settled for close enough while sighting it in, with the hogg-it you can move your group just fractions of an inch.
Well, I can get the Real Deal wrapped for $136 or the Hunter Hogg-it wrapped for $188... Does everybody agree that the Hunter Hogg-it is worth that much more? I like the micro-adjustable knobs on the Real Deal but I like the 6 inch length of the Hunter Hogg-it. And one last question. The General is on the slow side of todays bows... does this mean I should get the 7 pin sight over the 5 pin?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Drubie22

I just bought the Hogg-It wrapped with the large guard and .019 pins on Dan's recomendation. Like you I was looking at the Real Deal and didn't see the advantages of the Hogg-It, but so many people recomended it over the Real Deal that I just said the heck with it. I figured that even if it wasn't any better that it couldn't be any worse. If you're already willing to spend $170 for a top of the line product what's another $40. Let me tell you this sight is absolutely awesome. If your just deer hunting it might seem overkill to have this kind of adjustability, but it's nice to have. My old tru-glo was so hard to adjust that I just settled for close enough while sighting it in, with the hogg-it you can move your group just fractions of an inch.
Well, I can get the Real Deal wrapped for $136 or the Hunter Hogg-it wrapped for $188... Does everybody agree that the Hunter Hogg-it is worth that much more? I like the micro-adjustable knobs on the Real Deal but I like the 6 inch length of the Hunter Hogg-it. And one last question. The General is on the slow side of todays bows... does this mean I should get the 7 pin sight over the 5 pin?
To me the Hogg It would be worth the extra $ As far as how many pins you need that depends on how far you plan on shooting. I personally don't use Multi Pin sights as much anymore. Too much clutter, the rear adjustable HHA sights have proven to be a very effective sight for me. It's nice to have only one pin to concentrate on and know that it is set dead right

Dan
Old 01-29-2008, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

The number of pins really is a personal preference. Some like 1, some like 3, 5 and then there are us sickos that like 7 pins.

In all reality, if you are whitetail hunting then you should be fine with 3. (20,30,40)
I really don't think I would take a shot at a whitetail past 40 yards, even under optimum conditions, but that is just me.
The extra pins are more for practice or 3D. When you start practicing at longer distances 50 and 60 yards, the extra 2 pins of a 5 pin sight are nice.
When you can consistently hit your target at 50 and 60 then the extra 2 pins of the 7 pin sight are nice.

I think that for most shooters, the 5 pins are more than adequate.

As for the length of the HH vs the Real Deal, I have a real deal and a standard Hoggit. I much prefer the longer length of the Hoggit and HH sights over the stock length of the real deal. I find that the extra sight radius gives me a more accurate shot. I even went so far as to put a sight extension bracket on my Real Deal to push the sight out farther.....works great.

BTW, the micro adjust on the Real Deal still requires an allen wrench to adjust it. It is also a more coarse adjustment than on the Hoggit sights.