Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bitzenburger or Jo-Jan >

Bitzenburger or Jo-Jan

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bitzenburger or Jo-Jan

Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bitzenburger or Jo-Jan

I've got the Bitz and even though it may cost a bit more than the Jo Han ,it's been well worth it to me .

nubo
Old 01-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned both and the choice is Hands Down, The Bitz!!

Dan
Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

My choice would be the Bitz too, but I wouldn't throw rocks at a Jo-Jan. Ihad a Jo-Janmulti-fletcher that had performed flawlessly for mefor 20 years, but sold itwhen I got my Bitz.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

My choice would be the Bitz too, but I wouldn't throw rocks at a Jo-Jan. Ihad a Jo-Janmulti-fletcher that had performed flawlessly for mefor 20 years, but sold itwhen I got my Bitz.
I agree AP, I hope my reply didn't sound that way, if your in a hurry, the 6 arrow Jo Jan is perfect but when you want to custom etc, it's the Bitz.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:32 PM

I have the bitz and you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I agree AP, I hope my reply didn't sound that way, if your in a hurry, the 6 arrow Jo Jan is perfect but when you want to custom etc, it's the Bitz.
When I make arrows I never get in a Hurry!I always prefer the custom and you get it with the Bitz

Dan
Old 01-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm odd man out.I used both and much prefer the JoJan.I like a harder helical and I get that with the JJ.I've been using my multi-fletcher for well over 10yrs without a single problem and it makes a perfect arrow every time--and 6 at a time for that matter.I've fletched everything from 23/64" cedars to skinny carbons and it always turned out great arrows.You won't go wrong with whichever one you choose.They're both high quality tools

Old 01-12-2008, 07:32 PM

I have a Jo-JAN and love it never had any problems with it. Just wondering why you guys like the blitz more I've never used one if its harder to set up what are its advantages? Just curious.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

Helical feathers, or vanes for that matter do stabilize better than anything else out there, however many shy away from them for 2 primary reasons.

1) Fletching contact: Unless you are using a drop away rest, Whisker Biscuit or are very good at tuning, many people have trouble getting adequate clearance when using prong type rests.

2) The thought that the helical will cause too much speed loss: This is really a misnomer, at least for standard hunting distances. With 4" helical feathers, my arrows would shoot within about 1" of the POI of an offset feather fletch out at 35 yards or so. Beyond that the drop of the helicals becomes much more prevalent as they slow down faster.

If you want to give them a shot, then go for it! I shot helical feathers for a number of years with great success. It wasn't until I discovered Blazer vanes with a helical fletch did I stop shooting helical feathers.
I think I'm going to order a Bitz. but I've done so much reading that I think I am evenmore confused now. Mostall places I've read they sayto use a helical fletch for better broadhead stability. Just when I am about convincedto use a helical fletchI read this on a HuntingNet article.

Quote "Long fletching requires more space between the rest arms for proper clearance than shorter fletching simply because the longer fletching wraps around the shaft more. Four-inch helical fletching is recommended with small diameter aluminum and all styles of carbon arrows. This is a compromise between rest clearance for easy tuning and stability for quick recovery and accuracy. If you opt for four-inch fletching to improve arrow flight and couple this with a fast arrow (over about 260 fps) you may have to switch to mechanical broadheads to achieve acceptable accuracy."

Another articlehighly reccomendsto use theright helical but states that there will be a notable loss of arrow velocity.Notable Loss of Arrow Velocity
Notable Loss of Arrow Veloci
Idon't have the clearance problem with the Muzzy Drop Away but what does this mean about havingto switch to mechanical broadheads? I want to remain with the Muzzy 4 blade 90 gr.

I also see you could go straight fletching and use Quick Spin Vanes or by using an offset onAAE Plastifletch vanes which are supposed to have a textured surface to help steer. Any imput here? I guess what I'm looking for is someone to say (according to the equipment I'm using) here is what I think would work best for you from thefletching to the glue.

98Redline, You said you are using Blazers now.. Can you actually put a helical on such a short vane. Why did you choose a Blazer over a 4" vane? Alsowould they reduce speed less, being theyprobably don't weight as much?

Sorry guysfor being a pain, just trying to do as much right the first time as possible!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

The thought that the helical will cause too much speed loss: This is really a misnomer, at least for standard hunting distances. With 4" helical feathers, my arrows would shoot within about 1" of the POI of an offset feather fletch out at 35 yards or so. Beyond that the drop of the helicals becomes much more prevalent as they slow down faster.
I disagree with a few points here.

That "35 yards" stuff is a myth. For field archery competition, where targets ranged from a matter of a few feet out to 80 yards, I usually used 5" helical feathers in good weather. In wet weather, I used the sameexact arrows, onlyfletched with 5" straight vanes. These arrows all shot and grouped exactly the same, with the exact same sight settings, even on the 80 yard targets. If there was any tendency for drop to be more prevelant beyond 35 yards with helical feathers, they wouldn't be grouping together with straight fletched vanes at 80 yards. Myth busted.

Now, for broadheads, I'd never shoot straight fletch. Helical or offset only.

A prong rest does limit the amount of helicalyou can use per length of the fletching, but there is no problem achieving clearance with it properly set up and the arrows properly fletched (unless you use those really skinny carbons, that is). In fact, custom fletching your arrows to resolve your clearance issues is a perfect reason to learn to fletch your own arrows. But I guess I'm one of the few diehards that still uses a ancient prong rest. Everyone else seems to be using biskits or dropaways.

As long as your broadheads spin true, and you've got quality arrows that are straight and consistent, there is no reason to be forced into using mechanicals at higher speeds.

And that stuff about 'notable loss of velocity' with helical is pure meadow muffins. The only way that can happen is if someone just went absolutelywild with the helical and used way too much, to the point where they wound up with a barber pole effect, making more of a parachuterather than just stabilizing wings. Practice moderation with helical and you'll be fine.

Blazers... I don't think they are much lighter than 4" vanes. They're shorter, but thicker, stiffer and higher profile. So don't look for a big speed boost if you switch to them. They are excellent performers though and because of the shorter length, you can do a healthy offset or helical with them.With a good offset or helical, they'll do every bit the job a 4" vane will do. Many folks prefer them to 4" vanes, as do I. Their durability is what got my attention.

Quick Reply: Bitzenburger or Jo-Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.