HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Poundage/speed?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/226219-poundage-speed.html)

twildasin 01-08-2008 06:20 AM

Poundage/speed??

How much speed do you gain per pound of draw?

mobow 01-08-2008 07:38 AM

RE: Poundage/speed??

It varies greatly bow to bow, but 3-7 can be expected.

twildasin 01-08-2008 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: mobow

It varies greatly bow to bow, but 3-7 can be expected.
Thanks I always wandered that! I shot the General at 65# and was getting 284FPS but I will be shooting 70# when my new one arrives so I should be around 300FPS then. Thanks again I always wandered.

bronko22000 01-08-2008 10:14 AM

not neccessarly - different bows have different velocities. A lot of this is due to design (cams, limbs, etc.) Your new bow at 70# may not shoot as fast as your current one set at 65#. If both are the same model, it should be faster. But we are only talking approx 25 fps more average.
Don't get too hyped up on speed. A super fast but erratic shooting bow has no advantage over a slower more accurate one. It just means you'll miss faster.

BGfisher 01-08-2008 10:49 AM

3-7 sounds pretty excessive. The norm is about 2 fps per pound of draw., either up or down depending on which way you turn the limb bolts. Bows vary from model to model, but not that much.

MeanV2 01-08-2008 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

3-7 sounds pretty excessive. The norm is about 2 fps per pound of draw., either up or down depending on which way you turn the limb bolts. Bows vary from model to model, but not that much.
I have to agree!! Most testing I have done showed an average gain of 2.5 fps per pound increase in draw weight. I've never tested a bow that was any where near a 7fps gain;)

Dan

twildasin 01-08-2008 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I have to agree!! Most testing I have done showed an average gain of 2.5 fps per pound increase in draw weight. I've never tested a bow that was any where near a 7fps gain;)

Dan
Thanks guys! What I meant to say is the general I had set up to shoot was 65# and now that I ordered one it will be a 70# when I was shooting the easton lightspeed arrows I was getting 284FPS so I should jump to mid 290's thats all I wanted to know! Thanks again!

Team Virginia 01-08-2008 12:48 PM

I shoot an XI legacy at 80# with a 3.5 inch overdraw 100 grain muzzy with 26 inch carbon express arrows and get about 305 out of it.

MeanV2 01-08-2008 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Team Virginia

I shoot an XI legacy at 80# with a 3.5 inch overdraw 100 grain muzzy with 26 inch carbon express arrows and get about 305 out of it.
What's the total weight of your arrow?

Dan

mobow 01-08-2008 01:14 PM

You know, I first read this reply and laughed......I said ONLY 2??? Then I thought about it aminute........I was thinking of 1 turn of the limb bolts, not 1 pound per draw weight.....I stand corrected.......2-3 is more accurate. Mobow's bad.