Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 correct grain weight? >

correct grain weight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

correct grain weight?

Old 12-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default correct grain weight?

i shoot a parker hunter mag, 31" and draw weight is maxed (should be between 65-70#) I am currently shooting carbon wolverine 31" arrows (carbon express special model for walmart) i was getting extremely frustrated after i purchased a 7 pin sight and the buttom pin would only go to about 68 yards.....then it dawned on me that this arrow may be too heavy for further shots.....well i weighed it (on an ancient weigher) and got between 1 and 1.1 oz....so it is between about 437 and 487 grains....which i think is just too heavy...this arrows shoot fine for me out to 60 yards, but i would like to utalize the new sight and shoot out to 80...

the question i have is do each arrow manufactorer(i would prefer carbon) have there own determining chart for proper grain weight for my set-up or is it more universal?? if it is universal i went to an AMO web site (http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhelp/AMO-Minimum-Arrow-Weight-Chart.htm) --(i believe i am speed cam and choose 65-69# on the web site)and it says i should be at 477...which i am...so does this mean that i need to keep my arrow weight the way it is or can i get a lighter arrow so that i can shoot out to 80 yards?

thanks,
josh
Old 12-30-2007, 10:21 AM

Default RE: correct grain weight?

Arrow weights are all over the chart. There are arrows out there that barely weigh 1/2 ounce. There are some (for African game) that weigh two ounces. (An ounce is 454 grains)

The arrows you have arefairly heavy - at least relative to what most folks shoot for north american game with today's compound bows. They weigh over 500 grains with 100 gr. field tips. Great for penetration and large animals. And they tend to quiet down a compound bow. But you pay for it in long range trajectory. Most carbon huntingarrows are around 100 grains lighter. You should be OK shooting an arrow at least 5 grains per pound of draw weight - or 350 grains for a 70 lb. bow.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

when you say 350 this includes my field point(100gr. is what i have been shooting)?.....to insure my spine should i say it would be ok to go between 350-400?.......i really like these arrows, but hunting blacktails in more open country i would like to be able to shoot out to 80 if need be..
Old 12-30-2007, 12:11 PM

Spine and arrow weight are apples and oranges. Spine refers to stiffness, and weight is the overall weight in grains. Most shafts carry a gpi (grains per inch) designation. To that you add the weight of the nock, inserts, fletching, wraps, and point. And the spine is not so consistently quantified- some arrow makers call the 50/65, 60/75, etc; referring to the draw weight of the bow. Others (like Easton) list them as 500, 400, 340, and 300 - indicating the deflection of a 28" shaft when a 1.94 lb. weight is hung from the middle. There are some really good charts to help you select the correctly spinedarrow shaft.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Spine and arrow weight are apples and oranges. Spine refers to stiffness, and weight is the overall weight in grains. Most shafts carry a gpi (grains per inch) designation. To that you add the weight of the nock, inserts, fletching, wraps, and point. And the spine is not so consistently quantified- some arrow makers call the 50/65, 60/75, etc; referring to the draw weight of the bow. Others (like Easton) list them as 500, 400, 340, and 300 - indicating the deflection of a 28" shaft when a 1.94 lb. weight is hung from the middle. There are some really good charts to help you select the correctly spinedarrow shaft.
Roskoe,
You explained that very nicely. Good job.