Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 OK how's MY form?  :-) >

OK how's MY form? :-)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

OK how's MY form? :-)

Old 12-29-2007, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: OK how's MY form? :-)

I'd come at you like a spider monkey you country 'bumpkin......Like taking out the trash on a Thursday, you'd never see it coming.....Poor fella

Looks good to me... I do agree with you about feeling over extended.... and wanting to stay behind the shot.... Over here it is FLAT (as I am sure you know) and we do not have a lot of up/down hill shots but when we do have some I do at times feel overextended and can feel the extra strain on my back trying to stay behind the shot..... I am with you 100% on that...

I think it all looks good. I used to shoot a lot with a slightly hunched bow shoulder and I didn't really notice any change in accuracy after I worked on keeping it locked down....

Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always shot a shorter draw than most people think I should. I am primarily a Hunter and I find that a slightly shorter draw length allows me to stay behind the shot and be more consistent in all the weird positions you can get in while trying to pull off a hunting shot.
Shooting in the woods is not the same as towing a line at a Target
There are some people that have obvious form flaws that need corrected, but not everyone is going to shoot with the exact same formThe key is repeatability. Do the same thing the same way every time. The trick is some things are harder to repeat than others[8D]

Dan
Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

My shoulder would give out if I shot like that ....really. I bet if you stood in front of a mirror you'd find you can drop that shoulder real easy.
That is what happened to me when I tried shooting with the shoulder loaded up and not back.That and my bow wanted to drift and walk all over instead of floating.

Matt having good muscle mass in the shoulders might help him not develop the pain as I did and that most would feel,especially over time.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

The key is repeatability. Do the same thing the same way every time. The trick is some things are harder to repeat than others[8D]

Dan
That is the whole reason behind proper form.There are variations to what proper is and Matt has most covered.He has just developed a style and probably would be a mistake to change it at this point.(if it were me,I would atleast try it for a week or 2 and see if it could work,but that isn't for me to say)

Trust me,I know about form flaws,I have had them alland still have a few that I struggle with.I have struggled with a double set for years.[&:]
Old 12-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

It looks a bit short to me as well, specifically that front shoulder, but with you never having the intention to shoot spots, the extra muscle you are using with that front shoulder has time to recover between shots. You obviously have enough muscle structure as well to support what your doing.A bit longer of a draw would maybe make your pin float pattern a bit more consistent, though it would likely occur over a wider area. I like my draw a bit longer so I don't load that shoulder, I can't consistently do what your doing......I'm all over the place and fall apart quickly f I don't stretch that shoulder out. To compensate though, I do shorten my DL by a good 3/16" or so for 3D events that I know are going to have a lot of up/down hill, because I cannot stay behind my "preferred" DLas well as you probably do on the hardcore up/downhill shots. Last year I went a full 1/2 short to Harrisburg because I knew that course would give my normal form a beating.

With all that said, what your doing obviously works for you and is obviously VERY engrained in your muscle memory and subconscious. It would likely take several thousand shots and 3+ weeks to really change what your doing, and I wouldn't consider this unless you were considering other venues of the sport that would force you to shoot a LOT more shots in a short amount of time (indoor/FITA).

Edit*** - Dave C. has good form for field archery. Remember that he is primarily shooting on the most hardcore up/downhill courses at up to 80 yards. Yes he's short, but I'd bet $100 that he is tailoring his DL to fit the course he's shooting, and lengthens it out when he knows the courses will be flatter.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good explanation Matt.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:05 AM

matt, you've got that mean look down - i wouldn't want to be the 12 ring and have you looking at me like that - that's fo' sho'.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

you look like one that wants a pat on the back. I'll let Gib do it he's good at it..He can't hurt anyone feelings, he's a good guy. I say that just because I don't want to make him mad. I don't mess with the cook. He makes too many strings for me.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: The Rev

you look like one that wants a pat on the back. I'll let Gib do it he's good at it..He can't hurt anyone feelings, he's a good guy. I say that just because I don't want to make him mad. I don't mess with the cook. He makes too many strings for me.
I agree! John makes some great strings

Dan
Old 12-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

i dont know to me it looks like the DL may be about a 1/4 inch short.

Quick Reply: OK how's MY form? :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.