Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 OK how's MY form?  :-) >

OK how's MY form? :-)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

OK how's MY form? :-)

Old 12-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default OK how's MY form? :-)

I just snapped this pic of myself in response to the many "How's my form" themed threads and tobriefly showwhat I look like at full draw with an index /wrist strap style release.
I do shoot thumb trigger releases a lot but this is my typical hunting set-up which is what most of you guys are.

I'm NOT a professional archer but I think this is decent reference for proper form, bow fit and body positions.
* Release is a Scott "Wildcat" on a string loop, and my finger is BEHIND the trigger for safety

(By the way setting the self timer , grabbing the bow and running around to aim comfortably in 10 seconds aint easy! )

By all means feel free to critique.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: OK how's MY form? :-)

Matt, You look tooserious!! Lighten up

Well I had to pick on something

Gotta get one of those Constitutions someday soon

Dan
Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are agood enough archer to know what works for you,that is what is important.

The video that rick/matt posted in gmmat's post on thumb triggers is just about perfect.IMO http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v283/ringostar40/Archery%20Competition%20and%20Form%20Pics/?action=view&current=24958d05.flv

In my pics my head/chin is higher than yours and rick's is somwhere in between both of us,which I feel is considered "perfect".

Looks like you really have the front shoulder loaded,ALOT, and it is working up on you.I personally can't shoot like that but whatever works.For hunting,I like what I see,for serious target shooting,there would be some slight adjustments made if you were to see a coach.

A coach would probably lengthen the draw and that would fix the front shoulder and the chin would probably take care of itself.He would also tell you to make your feet wider(under the shoulders).I really doubt he would pick on anything else.

I have tried the front shoulder loaded like yours but it just didn't work for me.
I am actually going to work on bringing my head down a bit after hunting season.

IN NO WAY AM I SAYING YOU SHOULD CHANGE ANYTHING,BECAUSE IT WORKS,BUT IF YOU WERE TO SEE A COACH AND WERE TRYING TO GET INTO THE UPPER CLASSES OF ARCHERY(PRO CLASS)THESE ARE SOME THINGS I FEEL HE WOULD LOOK AT.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:32 PM

feet wider(under the shoulders).
I am not perfect or even close but if you are looking for perfection I would widen your stance.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like you really have the front shoulder loaded,ALOT, and it is working up on you.I personally can't shoot like that but whatever works.For hunting,I like what I see,for serious target shooting,there would be some slight adjustments made if you were to see a coach.
You know I was looking at my shoulder too (that's the only thing that jumped out at me too) and I think it's maybe a matter of my build and muscle mass. It's hard to tell but my bow arm shoulder is down and locked rather comfortably and isn't up high like it appears. I think if I retook the pic with a "Hunsucker" gun shirt on you'd see what I mean. I have large broad rounded muscular shoulders and it's hard to get that front side down and out of the way entirely.
I'd take another with a cutoff shirt on but I wouldn't want to get Hunsucker all hot and bothered.
Since this is my 3D rig too and not a spot shooting bow I purposely keep the draw length down about 1/2-2/3 of an inch with modules and loop just to be able to comfortably "Stay behind" severe up and downhill shots. If I get that perfect level ground stance I wind up too stretched out on angled shots and lose that proper back tension.

Maybe I'll snap another with no sleeves so you can see what that shoulder is really doing. (Quick somebdy call Hunseucker to the gun show!)
Old 12-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok here's the same pose minus the sleeves. The only difference I can see is that the camera went off before I could relax and curl my release hand fingers.
And as far as the stance goes, I do stand wider than that typically but you have to see the "Chinese fire drill" to get into position, get to full draw and settle in before that thing goes off! LOL This was about the only one where I didn't have my eyes closed.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

You definately have bigger shoulders than I but who doesn't.

If you were to see a 3-d coach,I still feel he would have you go out a 1/4"-1/2" but if you can't execute the uphill/downhill shots with it longer,then you are definately doing what you need to.

look at your front shoulder and compare it to the back shoulder,IMO,there is room to come down and still be able to use bt up and downhill.The key is the load back and not up.Your load really appears to be going up,not back.

Like I said,you are a good enough archer to know what is best for you.

In my pic,I am a little shorter than what I shoot 3-d with.About a 1/4"-1/2",but I shoot 3-d with a longer a-a bow,or atleast I used to,now I just hunt.I only made it to 1, 3-d shoot last year and none the year before that and I still finished 3rd.[8D]
Old 12-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well other than whiter than white, it looks pretty damn good Matt.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks pretty good Matt. I DEFINATELY agree with you could use a longer draw. You're having to lean into the string because of it too. I'm not one to critique though.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:27 PM
bigcountry

Needs a freakin haircut, look like a hippy.

Quick Reply: OK how's MY form? :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.