Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 A/C or All Carbon? >

A/C or All Carbon?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A/C or All Carbon?

Old 12-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A/C or All Carbon?

ORIGINAL: mobow

Well I'll tell ya. I shot ACC's for 2 years, and they are incredible. You won't ever hear me say a negative word about them. Yes, the nock system is really good, spine/weight consistency and tolerances are beautiful.

Having said that, I changed to Carbon Express Maxima Hunters, and noticed an immediate improvement. These things shoot like nothing I've ever seen before. I've literally watched people at the shop change absolutely nothing w/ the bow, change to these arrows, and watch their groups shrink. I can't explain why exactly, I just know they are awesome. I've robinhooded more than I care to mention.

SPINE,is why that happens,the spine more closely matches their bow setup OR the difference in diameter was a positive one for the tune they had.

ACC's do have a tighter spine range and all carbon shafts have a wider spine range.Meaning,the ACC's won't handle the variation in poundage/draw lengththat an all carbon shaft will.

That is if you are comparing to ACC's.other arrows may have many other factors involved.

AND,10 years from now,those ACC's will still be shooting the same,that doesn't USUALLY happen with all carbon shafts.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I'll tell ya. I shot ACC's for 2 years, and they are incredible. You won't ever hear me say a negative word about them. Yes, the nock system is really good, spine/weight consistency and tolerances are beautiful.

Having said that, I changed to Carbon Express Maxima Hunters, and noticed an immediate improvement. These things shoot like nothing I've ever seen before. I've literally watched people at the shop change absolutely nothing w/ the bow, change to these arrows, and watch their groups shrink. I can't explain why exactly, I just know they are awesome. I've robinhooded more than I care to mention.
They are consistant. Bought a six pack and all but one flew true. I just don't like the rough finish of them. Trophyridge is shipping out some new carbons .0008 Like to see them.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nodog

They are consistant. Bought a six pack and all but one flew true. I just don't like the rough finish of them. Trophyridge is shipping out some new carbons .0008 Like to see them.
Which ones are consistant?

I have checked my Acc's after a few years and most don't even move
a .0001 indicator needle.The few that do are probably the ones that have gone through deer and/or stuck in logs.[8D]
Old 12-21-2007, 11:26 PM

It's true that an all carbon arrow will most likely get the spine shot out of it eventually. BUT, I don't normally have arrows that long anyway. For a variety of reasons, so I'm not necessarily interested in an arrow that will retain it's spine for years. You're certainly right though, the spine on an ACC will be there for an awful long time.

I guess another part of it is the built in FOC of the Maxima. Like I said, you'll never hear a cross word from me about ACC's....Both the ACC and Maxima measure straightness over the entire length of the arrow, not the standard 8" of most other shafts. That makes them inherantly straighter than every shaft out there. I'm not sure yet as to how Trophy Ridge measure the straightness of theirs, be it the length of the shaft or 8".

I guess the only downside I can think of w/ the ACC is that aluminum bends, dinks, dents......yes, carbon does break, the spine gets shot out of them...and smacking them together CAN hurt them. But it's not as likely as w/ an aluminum arrow.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: nodog

Which ones are consistant?

I have checked my Acc's after a few years and most don't even move
a .0001 indicator needle.The few that do are probably the ones that have gone through deer and/or stuck in logs.[8D]
I've only had them for a few months. Bought some of the black 340's and they were good. I like them except the finish. Kept a few and sent some to my brother. Before the season I bought the hunters in 340 thinking the finish would be better; not much.

Just saying that shooting them to see how they flew 5 of them went to the same hole, one never would. Spining the nock just changed the impact spot around the others. Refletching did nothing. Bad shaft. The Maxima's flew well, but I did loose one and my brother 2; busted on game. Not a big fan, they just flew true and it was noticable like mobow said.

I don't often keep arrows more than a season,

I like the acc, just not the price. If they would've had them in the six pack I'd of tried them. I know the finish is better.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:34 PM

I'm kinda on the other side of this one. I tried a dozen ST Axis this spring and liked them so well I got three dozen more. Planning to shoot this arrow for many years to come. Still have some CE Terminators, A/C Super Slims, ST Excels, and Blackhawk Vapors - but they are going to stay parked in the arrow locker until these Axis are all gone.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used Full Metal Jackets on my recent trip to NE. They are a super arrow. I built these arrows with 20% FOC. The ACC's I have are great arrows also but I take pains to get my FOC where I want it. The CX Maxima Hunters are about the only all carbon shaft I will shoot. I think the built in FOC is a big boost for a lot of archers that are trying to shoot too little FOC unknowingly. Iwould saythe average Bowhunter has no idea what the FOC on his arrows even are. Also the new weight forward Kevlar shaft by CX to be released very soonought to be awesome

Dan
Old 12-22-2007, 03:46 PM

I've never used the a/c/c's but can vouch for the Maxima Hunter's. Been using them for two years now and no complaints whatsoever. Six deer with the same six arrows. Finally broke two this year. One went through a deer I had been tracking for my brother, stuck about 10 inches in the ground after passing through the deer and, as the deer jumped up and ran, the arrow broke.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I used Full Metal Jackets on my recent trip to NE. They are a super arrow. Dan
Like to try them sometime. Their weight kind of bothers me. I've also seen them forsale and a slow mover over at AT.Says tome othersdon't care much for them for some reason.Been holding offto hear why. Maybe this summer I'll find some to try at agood price.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both the ACC and Maxima measure straightness over the entire length of the arrow, not the standard 8" of most other shafts. That makes them inherantly straighter than every shaft out there. I'm not sure yet as to how Trophy Ridge measure the straightness of theirs, be it the length of the shaft or 8".
Does this mean that the spine of an arrow measured the full length is actually stiffer than one that only measures 8"?

Reason for asking is the weight of each. Might be able to shoot a lighter arrow if the spin is truer.

Quick Reply: A/C or All Carbon?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.