Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
both eyes open when shooting? >

both eyes open when shooting?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

both eyes open when shooting?

Old 01-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default both eyes open when shooting?

Just curious, do you guys shoot with both eyes open, or with your non-dominant eye closed? I currently shoot with both open, but am thinking of switching back to closing my left eye.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: both eyes open when shooting?

I use both eyes open just mounted the Hind sight11 and
find it is easier to keep both eyes open!
Old 01-26-2003, 03:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldn't ya know I gotta be an odd-ball. I can't even explain how I do it but I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed, both eyes open. Been doing it for 30 years. Gee, maybe that's why I can't hit anything.

Old 01-26-2003, 07:38 PM

I flip-flop. Paper shooting I go back and forth. Depends on how I'm feeling and still trying to see if I shoot better one way or the other. For hunting...Both eyes open all the time! I want the sight pic. to be as clear as possible for distance judging. I'ts pretty easy to do as I have a single pin sight setup too.

Make sure of your eye dominance before hand though...you could be opening pandoras box for your shooting scores!

Trushot }}------>
Old 01-27-2003, 01:56 PM

Both open. I do this with my bow or rifle. For some reason is has always come natural for me.

Jim

Visit me on the Web...
http://www.huntinginga.com
Old 01-27-2003, 05:01 PM

Both eyes open for me. I'm right eye dominant and shoot right handed, so I've never really thought about shooting either a gun or bow with one eye closed.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have been shooting right eye dominant but left handed for many years. This year I started shooting right handed and have suffered no ill effect. It actually feels more natural. If you can shoot with both eyes open, seems to me I would help speed up, and maintain target location.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:58 PM

Both eyes open MOST of the time..

I started out one I closed - found that both open helped - check the pro's - there's a reason they look pretty similar!

I do close one eye when needed - specifically when the light is 'jsut right' (or wrong) in a 3d shoot & I can't see the critter because of glare...

Aim small miss small
Old 01-28-2003, 10:48 AM
Spike

Hey, BGfisher I am left eye dominant and do everything right handed.
I used to shoot right handed but could not shoot with both eyes open. In fact, when I closed my left eye it would cheat and try to take over. I had to concentrate to make sure I forced the eye shut. I missed a few shots because "in the moment" my dominant eye fought to take over. When I needed a new bow I bit the bullet and switched to a left-handed bow. It was the best thing I ever did. I was uncoordinated for a while but lots of practice took care of that. Now walking deer aren't a problem any more and in low-light situations I don't have to worry about the wrong eye trying to take over.

Quick Reply: both eyes open when shooting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.