Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Is this serving wear normal for a new string? w/pics >

Is this serving wear normal for a new string? w/pics

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is this serving wear normal for a new string? w/pics

Old 12-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this serving wear normal for a new string? w/pics

Is this serving wear normal for a new bow string? I just had newstring and harnessput on a month ago. Is this a safety issue?
Old 12-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this serving wear normal for a new string? w/pics

Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 12-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 12-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't appear to be serving wear so much as serving separation. Excuse me, but this is not normal no matter how old the string is. It's simply a sign of piss-poor strings in the first place.

Just from the color (black) I would assume you got them or had them put on at a local shop.I'll bet they are Tailor-Maid. OK, it's not normal, but quite common. It's not nice to say but the old cliche "you get what you pay for" might fit right here. Also there doesn't appear to be many twists in them ( alittle hard to tell). Good strings will have about 1 twist for each 1 1/2" of string.

My advice would be to write it off to experience and start looking at decent aftermarket strings. These usually cost a little more, in some cases a lot more. Right here on this board there's a guy with the user name of Gibblet. If you order from him you can be assured of quality, prestretched strings. You get to pick the color and material you'd like (BCY 8125 or 452X). They are prestretched and twisted, then served under tension. The end result is no peep rotation and certainly no serving separation such as you are seeing. If there is ever a problem you can call John and he'll take care of it.

Another advantage of good strings is that they will initially creep (stretch) about 1/8" to 1/4" during the first 50 shots and then never change until you decide to replace them. This means once your bow is set up and tuned it will stay that way.

Depending on which string maker you choose, expect to pay about $55 to $100 (Winner's Choice) per set. Most all good makers will guarantee no serving separation for at least a year.

Sorry to sound so blunt, but I get a little miffed at some of the garbage pushed on consumers.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Just seperation. If you can, put your bow in a press and reserve it. Or simply slid it back up and tighten it. Ive found some cams do this worse than others. The redline cam will do this to any string. But i agree, that doenst look like a high quality string.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:51 AM

good gravy, you've got me right here,c r a c k e r sright here, and you put that on your bow - we're here for you - so this doesn't happen to you - use us.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

i would definatly go to an aftermarket string. had a pse bow do the same thing, put a zebra string on it and had no problems since. never tried the bcy strings but hear they are top notch right along with winners chioce strings.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:17 AM

good gravy, you've got me right here,c r a c k e r sright here, and you put that on your bow - we're here for you - so this doesn't happen to you - use us.
There you go. Time to get a quality set of strings and cables. I can guarantee that won't happen with bucknasty strings and if for some reason it would I have a feeling Gibblet would take care of the problem.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ash2042

There you go. Time to get a quality set of strings and cables. I can guarantee that won't happen with bucknasty strings and if for some reason it would I have a feeling Gibblet would take care of the problem.
How much does a bucknasty string and cablecost?

Quick Reply: Is this serving wear normal for a new string? w/pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.