Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 installing peep on new bow >

installing peep on new bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

installing peep on new bow

Old 12-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Spike

Default installing peep on new bow

Hey guys, I have my new truth bow. I'm waiting for chrismas to arrive so I can add all the accesories I have asked for and install them and shoot this baby. I have read a few posts on here about peep sights and have a question.

I do not want the rubber tubing type. I'm looking at ther.a.d. trio peep which breaks the string into 3 sections so it always aligns. I'm also looking into the Jim fletcher tru peep, but I'm affraid that it will not align straight all the time.

Are the stock strings on the truth bow good enough for this? will they twist? It's brand new and has never been shot. Can you even install a 3 strand peep into a twisted line?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: installing peep on new bow

You should be fine to install a tubeless peep.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Spike

do peeps tend to move up or down a tad after shooting? or once they are tied in stay pretty much there?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM

I have a truth and one of my peep servings came loose causing the peep to move on me, I had to tie in my own, but other than that it usually doesn't move, but I made a mark and the top and bottom of where I had the peep set at so I know that it is not moving at all.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Spike

how exactly did you mark it? where?

what type of peep you using? stock strings?

thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

eagleye,

Your new bow may have a decent set of strings on it or it may not. Factory strings usually don't, but very once in a while you get lucky. I recommend that you set the bow up and tune it shooting through paper, or whatever method you like. Then take certain measurements on the bow. A2A, brace height, draw weight, draw length, etc. Also take a pencil and draw a line on the side of the cam where it passes through the limb fork. Then just shoot it for about 100-150 shots. Check the measurments to see if anything has changed, particularly the losition of the marks you put on the cam. If necessary readjust what needs done.

Then install a peep so it faces straight back at you when you draw. If the peep rotates you may have to put some twists in the string to make it stabilize--meaning getting all the strands to work as one. Take note: most factory strings do not come with enough twists in them to start with. The string should have one complete twist for each 1 1/2" to 2" of string length.Sometimes you can't get all the rotation out of the string. This means you got lousy strings. But you cn play around, moving strands to get the peep to align well at full draw. It's a lot of trial and error sometimes.

I've found the best way to eliminate string creep and peep rotation is to just get a good aftermarket string right from the git-go. Then keep the original for a spare. You don't necessaarily have to get new cables, but what the heck........ Try a PM to Gibblet here on the board and see what kind of price he quotes you. His are as good a quality as Winner's Choice and others, but at nearly half the cost.

Hope this helps. Any more questions you can PM me.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:50 PM

I still have the stock strings but once bow season is over I am getting an aftermarket string, and I just marked right above and below where I have my peep set.

Check out this guys website, from what I have read he is a very good string maker

http://www.hmbowstrings.com/index.html

I found him on archery talk which is full of information about archery.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Actually , the strings that the Truth comes out with are Winners Choice strings so you should have no problems with rotation
Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM

I would recommend the G5 Meta peep over the ones that break the string into three stands.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: archer 2

Actually , the strings that the Truth comes out with are Winners Choice strings so you should have no problems with rotation
Is this true? WOW, about time someone takes the bull by the horns. eagleye, in this case your strings should be good. Just follow what I said about the shoot-in procedure and evrything after that.

Quick Reply: installing peep on new bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.