HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Peep sight question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/219982-peep-sight-question.html)

Taylorman 11-28-2007 02:36 PM

Peep sight question

I just put new Winners Choice string and cable on my PSE Carrera. My old setup had a peep sight with the rubber tubing to align the peep cause i was always scared my peep would not align when hunting. I put my new string on and decided to try a peep with no rubber tubing. Ive shot it a few times and it only rotates just a hair when i draw. Bow seems quieter without the tubing. Whats the opinion on whether or not to use rubber tubing for a hunting bow.

bowdoc1 11-28-2007 04:55 PM

RE: Peep sight question

The rubber tubing shows your bow down, brakes and is just a pain in the back end. I have used them before and hated it. I have some friends tell that they have had them brake just as they drawled down on a deer costing a shot at a deer. I was at a shoot once and a buddy broke his and it was to short to repair in the field. It make his bow shoot about 8 to 9 inches high at 30 yards with out it. He went to his shop and checked his speed with and with out it and found out it was costing him about 8 to 10 fps.

bayfire300 11-28-2007 06:52 PM

just get a hind sight and be done w/ peep sights they are a pain in the a$$......plus it'll make you bow a lil faster and always a consistant anchor.i put one on 2 years ago and i will never ever go back, groups got tighter at further yardages esp if you use a single pin......multiple pins need getting used to.i only use 1 pin out to 35 yards.

otto

SouthDakotaHunter 11-28-2007 07:03 PM

I'm kinda in the same situation. Looking at putting on a new bow string and was thinking of going with a tubless peep this time around. Also a little bit nervous about the peep rotating when I draw back...

Simp 11-28-2007 07:34 PM

I've tried the peep with the tube and canned that thing pretty quickly. It's just another thingthat cango wrong at the wrong time. I also tried a release once as well. I bought it and went straight to the woods with it and as I was about to get down I decided to try it out with a practice arrow and I only got to half draw when it released. It wasn't set properly. That was the last day I used a release. I've been shooting fingers ever since. I know when they're going to release!

Ed McDonald 11-28-2007 07:59 PM

I got rid of my peep with a tube . Figured the tubing would break at the worst possible time . I replaced it with a Shurz a Peep which splits the string in thirds . Works great - no problemo !

Simp 11-28-2007 08:09 PM

Yeah, I have the one that splits the string into two strands and like it. The string settled in when I replaced it and the peep is pretty much straight. I like your avatar!

archer 2 11-28-2007 08:22 PM

With Winners Choice strings you wont need the rubber tubing . After you have shot your bow for about a 100 shots set the peep staight and it will not rotate on you when you draw. With good strings , and Winners Choice is definitely amongst the best, you don't need rubber tubing because their strings do not rotate on draw. Simp , are you telling us you went out to your treestand to hunt with a release that you had never shot or tuned your bow for. What were you thinking , luckily no animals came by you or you probably would have had a wounded animal out there. If you would have done what was the responsible thing , you would have practiced beforehand and set your bow up to shoot a release before going out to hunt. If you had done this then you would have known the release was not set correctly for your bow. The onus is on you not the release. [:@]

BGfisher 11-29-2007 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

I'm kinda in the same situation. Looking at putting on a new bow string and was thinking of going with a tubless peep this time around. Also a little bit nervous about the peep rotating when I draw back...
Whether you get peep rotation or not is solely dependent on the quality of strings you use. If you use run of the mill ones from any shop you're almost guaranteed some rotation. If you get some good aftermarket ones there probably will be very little if any rotation.

You can spend the money and get Winner's Choice. I have, but it's not necessary. There's a guy on this website (Gibblet) that makes Bucknasty strings and they are of the highest quality at nearly half the price of WC's. Do a search for "custom strings" and find others.

Even if you decide to go without a peep it pays to have good strings. Because they are prestretched and served under tension there will be very little creep, therefore your bow will not change tune over time. And there should be no serving separation either.

Ya know, I rather have a $300 bow with good strings than an $800 one with crappy strings.

Simp 11-29-2007 10:11 AM

archer 2, the bow was set up for a release. I bought it as a back-up and it was the exact model of the one I had been using. I failed to adjust thetrigger pressure and it came out of the box with no pressure on it.The release wouldn't hold 5 pounds of tension, so wounding an animal was out of the question. I went to shooting fingers the next day. They haven't let me down yet.:D