Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How Often to Restring a Bow? >

How Often to Restring a Bow?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How Often to Restring a Bow?

Old 11-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default How Often to Restring a Bow?

Hello,

How often should one restring a bow? The bow in question is a PSE Nova. I have heard some people say bows should be restrung every year and I have had others say to only restring it when the string is frayed. Who is right?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-21-2007, 02:16 PM

Default RE: How Often to Restring a Bow?

There are a lot of variables. How well do you keep the string waxed? How much do you shoot? Is the bow stored in a case? Dry? Hot?

I would guess the average to be about every 2 or 3 years. If the string is just "hairy" it needs wax. The integrity of the string is fine. When in doubt, replace them. Err on the side of caution.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Mobow,

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

I replace mine yearly but I build my own strings also.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:57 PM

I agree with the above. If you shoot a lot then you would want to change strings more often. If you are only using it for hunting and practice before the season than it should last much longer.
Keep it waxed, but don't overdue it and keep a good eye on the serving for fray and seperation.
In my target bow I will change strings 2 to 3 tiumes a year. On my hunting bow maybe once a year if it needs it. I also build my own strings so changing them is no problem for me.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Last year I changed mine three times.If you don't believe me ask Gibblet, I'm his best customer. The last time a month ago, was cause I wanted a new color for my new limbs.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:19 PM

I have taken my Hoyt Protec to our local archery shop several times to see if my string - which is about a year and half old and has about two thousand shots through it - need replaced. The string is a Winner's Choice. They are indicating that these strings, particularly in bows that are set less than 70 lbs., will last a really long time and not to worry about it. I have no fraying to speak of and the string looks great. I'll probably do it sometime in 2008 anyway, just for peace of mind.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:06 AM

roscoe, you're right and wrong at the same time - right for you - because 2000 shots isn't much, but i do work for guys that put that many shots on a bow in 2 weeks. heck, sometimes i do.point is, some guysshoot that much for 8 months of the year, 1000 shots a week, or more.

other thing - hunting arrows vs. target arrows. lighter, closer to 5gr/lb arrows like what's used for target - they wear strings out faster than heavier hunting arrows. the heavier arrows take more of the energy than the lighter ones. the energy that isn't transferred into the lighter arrow is dissipated (sp?) through the bow and string. anyway, i just noticed it happens- and this is my theory as to why lighter arrows wear out strings faster. i think its correct.

so, to me, its a 3 way relationship between time, shots, and arrow weight. i'd do it every 2 years on a hunting bow even if i only had 500 shots on the bow, that's me.

target bow gets them at least twice a year.

if i shot my hunting bow year round - it would get them at least twice a year.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:20 AM

Thanks, Gibblet. That makes a lot of sense. Along the same lines as a lighter arrow causing more string wear, do you think that 80 lb. bows are harder on strings than 70 lb. bows - and that 60 lb. bows are not as hard on them as 70 lbs.?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gibblet

ros

if i shot my hunting bow year round - it would get them at least twice a year.
Hey Cuz, I guess I'm a head of the game....... Wish you could have been with us last weekend! Things wouldn't have turned out like they did, I would have had to bail you and my little buddy out of a Mexican jail, being that close to the border.

Quick Reply: How Often to Restring a Bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.