HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Field Points (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/217456-field-points.html)

pizzitem 11-13-2007 08:42 AM

Field Points

I know this is a pretty simple question but I just can't find the answer.

I have seen field point sizeslisted like this:
17/64", 19/64", 9/32", 5/16", 11/32"

Can someone please tell me how I can figure out which size I can use for an arrow?

Thanks

BGfisher 11-13-2007 05:16 PM

RE: Field Points

You either have to know or measure the diameter of the arrow you want to shoot. Then pick the appropriate size point. If you're thinking about carbon arrows then most measure around .295" which equates to a point diameter of 19/64". The two most common sizes used on them are 9/32" (a hari small) or 5/16" (a hair big) because that is what is most commonly sold. It's a pretty rare shop that carries 19/64" field tips.

The smaller diameter ones usually use a 17/64" point. For this you can use 1/4" or 9/32". Again, neither of these is an exact match. To get the right diameter here you should use Easton RPS points for ACC 3-28 shafts.

Then there are the larger diameter shafts like Gold Tip 22 series. which by definition are 22/64" diameter. Use the appropriate 11/32" point.

For aluminum arrows it's pretty stright forward. 2213 for example is 22/64 diameter or 11/32. This is the largest diameter field point made so shafts larger than this have inserts that taper to accept the 11/32" point.

pizzitem 11-14-2007 05:37 AM

Many thanks to you BGfisher.

Arthur P 11-14-2007 06:33 AM

If you're thinking about carbon arrows then most measure around .295" which equates to a point diameter of 19/64". The two most common sizes used on them are 9/32" (a hari small) or 5/16" (a hair big) because that is what is most commonly sold. It's a pretty rare shop that carries 19/64" field tips.
I don't worry about wasting time looking for 19/64's field points. Main thing I do is shoot GoldTips. For their 19/64's dia shafts, the inserts are flared out to take a 5/16's point. For other carbons, I chuck up on the point's threads with a handdrill to spin it (I tell my wife it's my lap lathe;)) and carefully use a file to chamfer the shoulder of the field point so that it matches up with the insert. It only takes a tiny bit of weight off the point, not nearly enough to notice any difference in spine or shooting qualities.

BGfisher 11-14-2007 09:00 AM

Darn you anyway, Art. I should have thought of that being as I shoot Gold Tips, and have been on their advisory staff.

pizzitem, just shows you how dense some of us can get. And dimentia starts setting in at my age. LOL.

Roskoe 11-14-2007 11:27 AM

I do the same thing - except on a tool room lathe. But it is generally better to get a slightly fatter field point and put a chamfer on the shoulder than have a slightly smaller field point, where the shoulder of the insert or arrow shaft is going to encounter target resistance.

bigbulls 11-14-2007 12:39 PM

For other carbons, I chuck up on the point's threads with a handdrill to spin it (I tell my wife it's my lap lathe;)) and carefully use a file to chamfer the shoulder of the field point so that it matches up with the insert. It only takes a tiny bit of weight off the point, not nearly enough to notice any difference in spine or shooting qualities.
I just did this for some Axis shafts with 5/16ths tips. Works very well and makes pulling the arrow out of a target a little bit easier since the hole the field point makes is slightly larger than the shaft diameter.